Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

what size leads do I need (gauge)

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what size leads do I need (gauge)

Hey guys I just bought a used bobcat 250, but it has no leads. So for now I'm looking at getting 50' lead. But not sure what gauge I would need for 50' @ 250amps. I would probably never run it at 250amp but just in case I want leads that can handle it.

A good size cable for a 250 is 1/0. Plus it is a nice size to work with.
    If you are worried about the duty cycle you could up the size of the work/ground to 2/0.
    If you can smell the cables they are to small.
    But really 50' of 1/0 for the stinger and 50' for the ground should handle all but 250amps all day long.
    Good Luck,
    Bob

Comment

I RUN #1 on mine - 60 Ft Stringer - 40 Ft Ground

Comment

I use 1/0 guage on my bobcat I have 100ft of lead never had a problem

Comment

If you d'load the OM from this site there should be a section with recommendations for amperage/lead length.

Comment

Thank you guys, it looks like 1/0 is the winner. I looked for a manual, but could not find one. I'll look again after it's delivered, might be entering the wrong numbers

Comment

Working...
            X
            Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.