Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Different Regulators for 100% CO2 vs 75/25

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Different Regulators for 100% CO2 vs 75/25

Hi, I'm a newbie and just received a Multimatic 200. In watching the different setup video's the one for the MIG on steel with 100% CO2 stated that I shouldn't use the regulator that came with it. The setup for 75/25 steel did not.

Why is this?

Thx - Steph

Reg numbers might not be as accurate. I have been using them for many years with both gases, and most of them have a dual scale. Just need the adapter nipple for the 75/25 reg to run it on co2

Comment

Liquid in CO2 tank, makes the vapor gas very cold. CO2 regulators are made with that in mind as well...

Comment

I was told that if one was going to do a lot of pure co2 that a heated regulator would be best as the standard ones can suffer from freezing with pure co2.---Meltedmetal

Comment

100% co2

Back when I first started CO2 was all we used,welding all day long using a dual stage flow meter. The gauge would get frost on it but would never freeze up. You should not need a heater for it. I have also used single stage Argon/Carbon Dioxide regulators with straight CO2 with no problems. For myself I like to use a C-25 mixture.
          Last edited by bubbaweld; 11-01-2013, 10:15 PM.

Comment

Running outershield elite 1/16 at 450 ipm will freeze the regulator with a 35cfh flow rate....I would know....
            Originally posted by bubbaweld View Post
            Back when I first started CO2 was all we used,welding all day long using a dual stage flow meter. The gauge would get frost on it but would never freeze up. You should not need a heater for it. I have also used single stage Argon/Carbon Dioxide regulators with straight CO2 with no problems. For myself I like to use a C-25 mixture.

Comment

Originally posted by Steph Reed View Post
              Hi, I'm a newbie and just received a Multimatic 200. In watching the different setup video's the one for the MIG on steel with 100% CO2 stated that I shouldn't use the regulator that came with it. The setup for 75/25 steel did not.

Why is this?

Thx - Steph
              As mentioned the reg could freeze up so Miller has to put the warning there BUT
              I've been running CO2 with the miller reg no problem.
              I'm just a hobby welder with some projects for my business so not a ton of heavy welding.

Comment

Working...
              X
              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.