Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

welding on AC

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• welding on AC

Was welding on AC today, using 7024 x 3/32
    and some 6011 1/8
    I noticed it was running hot, so I had my son watch the amp read out, and it would read 30 amps more than what it was set for??
    was welding at 80 amps, had machine set for 50amp.
    what would be the problem??
    machine is a 302 TB

AGAIN the preset is merely a roundabout GUESSTIMATE. The load, ie, the rod determines what the actual heat will be

Comment

Originally posted by hjm View Post
      Was welding on AC today, using 7024 x 3/32
      and some 6011 1/8
      I noticed it was running hot, so I had my son watch the amp read out, and it would read 30 amps more than what it was set for??
      was welding at 80 amps, had machine set for 50amp.
      what would be the problem??
      machine is a 302 TB
      How long an arc are you drawing? That 7024 is very short arc rod...Iron in the flux...most of the time the flux can be touching the workpiece...Drawing the arc out increases amperage... Good Luck....

Comment

I think 30 amps is a little excessive. There is a reason why they call this machine a constant current machine. Certainly not because there is a 30 amp difference between the machine setting and the actual output. I own a TB 302 and have never had an increase or decrease of amperage by 60% regardless of how long or short the arc was.

Comment

Thank you!
          I knew 30 amps was a crazy difference,, it dont matter what rod i use whether it be 7024,6011,6013,6010,7018 ETC. I tried them all investigating
          I am not new to welding I know the difference in arc length, and the affects it has!
          If the dial is only a aprox!! as stated in another post, then why does it only do that on AC,, DCRP OR DCSP IT will only move a amp or two, depending on arc length..
          I have been welding for a while, and also teach welding at the college...
          But I do not understand why this machine does this in AC....

Comment

Originally posted by jpence38 View Post
            I think 30 amps is a little excessive. There is a reason why they call this machine a constant current machine. Certainly not because there is a 30 amp difference between the machine setting and the actual output. I own a TB 302 and have never had an increase or decrease of amperage by 60% regardless of how long or short the arc was.
            Really depends on the rod being used, the plate thickness, and AC being somewhat more difficult to use. And really few use it anymore.

Comment

Working...
            X
            Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.