Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

trailblazer 250g - won't weld and no AC power

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• trailblazer 250g - won't weld and no AC power

I got a couple of welders from a friend who has a construction business and was buying new gear in exchange for firewood. One works, but the 250g (serial #JK691415 750 hrs) starts and runs fine but won't weld and the plugs don't have any power. I took the hood off and if I take a pair of jumper cables and touch them to the field capacitor the AC outlets (and presumably the welder) start to work. I don't have a service manual but was wondering if anyone had any ideas what might be wrong based on this behavior. I don't need two welders and would probably sell the 250g if I can get it working. Any thoughts?

Anybody got any ideas?

Comment

You may be in luck, there is a reset button on the exciter shutdown board PC3

Comment

If you have the exciter board in yours & it is bad this is how you bypass it. (I did this on mine) You can call Miller direct & ask for the engine drive dept. They will help you troubleshoot it. Note that your serial # is just after these.

O/k so here is my notes. For serial # JG018501 thru JJ355008. Circuit diagram SA-112 555. Remove sheet metal to get at upper most board (exciter feild shutdown board PC3) with red light. All you have to do to bypass board is disconnect wire #20, this is "E" on the schematic & wire #29, this is "H" on the schematic. Connect them together & it's done. You can carefully get the connectors out of the plug as I did.

If you have power now then check your open circuit voltage which should not go higher than about 92 volts with machine set to max & revved up to welding speed. Mine went to 91.

If OCV is high do a visual on the varister(spelling) (this is also called a suppresssor) which is located on the rectifier. If it looks burned then replace. I have a note here with part # 046819 which is $18 at miller4less.com.

Comment

Working...
        X
        Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.