Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

please help what to buy

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• please help what to buy

I am helping out a friends shop weld good size aluminum boxes and am welding with my dynasty 350 right now but it's way way way to slow and owner said they were wire welding them with spool gun or push pull set up Most the plate aluminum is 3/8 to 7/16 and they have been tacking on 1 in blocks to all four corners on these parts So my question is what set up would work for me ? I don't wanna spend the farm but would like to get a wire set up for this any advise would be great thanks in advance

Also I might be able to get a power source as well if that would help out

Comment

Originally posted by mikesystem View Post
      I am helping out a friends shop weld good size aluminum boxes and am welding with my dynasty 350 right now but it's way way way to slow and owner said they were wire welding them with spool gun or push pull set up Most the plate aluminum is 3/8 to 7/16 and they have been tacking on 1 in blocks to all four corners on these parts So my question is what set up would work for me ? I don't wanna spend the farm but would like to get a wire set up for this any advise would be great thanks in advance
      Sounds like a perfect job for a Millermatic 350P with the Alumapro Push-Pull gun..

http://www.millerwelds.com/products/...p?model=M00151

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qU-0XqmAo0

I have one and it is the cat's meow for MIG.. between the MM350P for MIG and the Dynasty 350DX on TIG... you can pretty much handle whatever comes along....

Just my 2 cents worth.. But I own both.. and you could not trade me out of either one...
      Last edited by H80N; 10-12-2013, 10:26 AM.

Comment

Add Content

Comment

Anything on the cheaper side of that ?

Comment

Anything on the cheaper side of that ?
            For my money.. nothing comes close...

you might find it more cost effective in the long run to buy the more capable machine from the beginning and be able to handle the larger stuff at longer duty cycle... rather than being limited by a smaller machine..with a lesser duty cycle.
            Doing those aluminum boxes continuiously at decent speed and not needing to stop and let the machine cool between beads..will require some horsepower..

Comment

please help what to buy

What kinda amps would I need to weld that thickness ? What about a spool gun ? Thanks

Comment

What kinda amps would I need to weld that thickness ? What about a spool gun ? Thanks
                Amperage is a function of Voltage X Wire Speed for a given size wire..
                See figure 6.9 page 32.
                Not so much Amps available... but the duty cycle at the given amperage..
                See figure 4.2 page 11
                this is the amount of time that you can weld at that output before you have to stop and let the welder cool

http://www.millerwelds.com/om/o1327ah_mil.pdf

The 30A spoolgun is a well made piece of equipment and heavy duty... but it is tiring to sling all that weight around all day and the frequent spool changes...

Great for smaller jobs..

one feature that the MM350P has that most others do not.. is the ability to pulse... this gives a pretty bead that looks a lot like TIG and reduces the total heat input to the work..
                Last edited by H80N; 10-12-2013, 11:52 AM.

Comment

please help what to buy

Will I don't do very much of this and prob won't after this but this might go on for a few months but just can't drop 5 g on a unit to weld these things worst comes to worst I will have to keep tigin it but its taking to long I was thinking a millermattic 200 with a spool gun but not sure if that would work or not

Comment

please help what to buy

Oh and pretty don't matter they *** machined after all welds are done these are for sand molds and go to a foundery

Comment

Will I don't do very much of this and prob won't after this but this might go on for a few months but just can't drop 5 g on a unit to weld these things worst comes to worst I will have to keep tigin it but its taking to long I was thinking a millermattic 200 with a spool gun but not sure if that would work or not
                      The MM200 with a 30A would be a good inexpensive short term solution..

the MM200 is a lot more machine than the name would suggest...

it is 200 amps at 60% duty cycle and 270 amps at 35% duty cycle..

http://www.millerwelds.com/om/o1327ah_mil.pdf

they can be found on the used market for between $400-600 w/o spoolgun..

Comment

Don't know what kind of budget you have, but this is a good option

http://www.millerwelds.com/products/...p?model=M00218

Look at cyberweld or your local welding supplier. You can find the machine for about $2300.00
                        Last edited by jpence38; 10-12-2013, 12:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jpence38 View Post
                          Don't know what kind of budget you have, but this is a good option

http://www.millerwelds.com/products/...p?model=M00218

Look at cyberweld or your local welding supplier. You can find the machine for about $2300.00
                          The MM252 is a decent machine... it has output and duty cycle nearly identical to the MM200...60% Duty cycle @ 200 amps.. will drive a 30A spoolmatic and it does have gun on demand which is convenient..

figure 4.2 page 12

http://www.millerwelds.com/om/o230693l_mil.pdf
                          Last edited by H80N; 10-12-2013, 12:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by H80N View Post
                            The MM252 is a decent machine... it has output and duty cycle nearly identical to the MM200...60% Duty cycle @ 200 amps.. will drive a 30A spoolmatic and it does have gun on demand which is convenient..

figure 4.2 page 12

http://www.millerwelds.com/om/o230693l_mil.pdf
                            I have had both. The 350P and now the 252. I like the 4 roll drive on the 350P, but for the price, the 252 is a good machine. And as you stated, the 15A or 30A is an option and the gun I prefer over all the others.

Comment

Just to clarify don't mix up the older MM200 & the new multimatic 200, which can also be called a MM200. Two completely different units.

I run a MM250 with a 30a spool gun on the heavier aluminum I do. It works fine. I'm in a situation like you where I don't use it much but when I do it gets used for a day or two all day. This set up, a MM200/250/251/252 with a 30a is what I would recommend. If you buy it used you can always recoup your cost when done by reselling it.

Not knocking the 350p but if it's going to sit for long periods in the corner it doesn't make good business sense.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.