Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

SB tig braze help

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SB tig braze help

I am trying to repair a door from a wood stove from the shop. The frame looks to be brass and the inside is mild steel. Cleaned everything up and planned to tig braze with silicon bronze filler. Ran a test piece on mild steel and ran fine. Tried on my project and it doesn't stick to what I thought was the brass.

Using my cst280 in lift tig mode at 100 amps tri-mix tungsten and dcen. I tried between 75 and 125 amps and all the same result. What am I doing wrong? I have some pictures attached.

There is a lot of rust on the steel but I cleaned it up along the brazed section and also ground down to fresh metal on the bronze.

Picture 1
    Attached Files

Comment

Picture 2
      Attached Files

Comment

SB tig braze help

What do you mean by doesn't stick? Does the material burn back but pieces just won't join? It's hard to see what you tried to weld maybe a close up if the weld attempt?

Comment

Thought I posted this earlier. SB melts to steel fine. Just balls up on the brass.
          Attached Files

Comment

SB tig braze help

Try and focus heat on bronze panel see what kind of heat it takes to get a puddle on that first before adding filler. Not sure what the problem is exactly without being there.

Comment

Probably going to take a lot more heat than you've got so far. I'd just bolt it.---Meltedmetal

Comment

Got a lot of heat into the bronze to make a puddle and it started turning white and pitting out. Good gas coverage and a gas lens. I am still not sure it is bronze. Just a guess. Silicon bronze tig brazing isn't supposed to melt the base metal. Just the filler. Much less heat input that way.

Comment

Are you replacing a glass with steel? Have you ground the "bronze" to see that it is not white metal and plated, though it is not a place I would use white metal I'd have used cast iron but I can. I'd still get out the drill and bolt it.This would also let it work the steel and the "bronze independently as whatever it is it likely doesn't have the same co-efficient of expansion as the steel.---Meltedmetal

Comment

SB tig braze help

I have welded steel and bronze together using sb wire when you get the puddle in the bronze it will absolutely start burning bright and spitting up at ya.

Comment

SB tig braze help

But bolting is the easier way

Comment

Melted-

This had mild steel glued on somehow and it fell out. I acquired this and just want to warm the shop with it. Might have had glass before. I ground a good layer off and it is definitely not white metal.

Steve-

Good to know about bronze. Why won't the sb melt to the bronze? This is my first time working with this metal. I like steel better!

Comment

Is it worth SB mig wire? I could pick up a small spool of that too.

Comment

SB tig braze help

I checked some sources and it looks like you should use argon or argon/helium mixture. You could even use pure helium if your welding a thick part. The trick is too get a puddle started and keep the arc in the puddle moving it forward when you add the next drop of silicon bronze. Do not focus the arc just on the brass. If the brass gets too hot the zinc in the brass will migrate out at you with a pop and a white hazardous smoke. Use DC and pulse of about 30 and background about 50% if you have the pulse option on your machine. You could also braze this project with a gas torch. Hope this helps. Have fun!

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.