Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cable Plow Blade

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cable Plow Blade

I am building cable plowing blade back up after use. I am looking for a good type of welding rod that will build the face of it back up and take the abuse of being pulled through hard ground. I'm trying not to build this thing back up every other month. What do you all recommend. Could mig if needed or stick.

http://catalog.stulzsicklessteel.com...odes/item-1320

Comment

http://www.lincolnelectric.com/asset...710.pdf‎
      Nice comparison pages 7 thru 9---Meltedmetal
      Last edited by Meltedmetal; 10-11-2013, 04:58 PM.

Comment

Cable Plow Blade

Build up with 7018 or better, I use mig with metal core wire to build up & reshape then cover with good hard surface wire or rod as suggested above. I use at least 2-beads thick of HS but not over 3 thick if around 60 Rockwell.
        If its extreme ware issue I use a hard surface wire with a carbide trickler and trickle carbide into the weld but that has to be put on level and u need carbide trickler.
        If not to large I also use O/A torch and borium tube which has carbide chunks inside tube. They also make in a brass type matrix stick kinda like brazing u need flux for it.
        You can also buy arc rods with carbide particles in them.
        Raw carbide particles are the best ware protection that I've found for underground work.
        Hope it helps Greg

Comment

Use a good build-up rod that will work harden. A product called railtec comes to mind. After the build up is done hard surface with the rod or wire of your choice. Hard surface rod should never be used for build-up.

Comment

Cable Plow Blade

Good advise !! Oldtimer

Comment

Stoody is a great hard face

Comment

stoody build up

Comment

Working...
                X
                Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.