Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

need help please

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need help please

So i bought the Miller diversion 180 welder and i went to plug the 20a 250 volt plug into my generator and it wont fit into my generator. My generator does not have a 20A 250volt plug, it has a 50A A.C. 240volt plug which is a little bigger than the welder plug. what should i do? do i need to get an adaptor or a transformer? where do i get one of these?

I don't have the 180 but one thing you have to do is get an extension cord to run the welder because you don't want to be real close to the generator or be tied down to a small area beside an inside outlet. I would go to an electrical supply store and get an extension cord made to fit your welder and generator. Don't go to lowes and buy the parts because they are most always higher. I would also wire my inside outlet with the 50amp receptacle like the generator and use the drop cord. Look at your owners manual for the recommended wire size and length. A #12 wire will run a 200amp welder at 50ft. Good luck.

Comment

I was lowes last weekend looking at a generator and they have a bunch of different adapter plugs you can, get by the generators

Comment

need help please

EVSEadapters.com
        You need the 14-30 to 6-50 adapter. It's ready to go. Or you can goto your local electrical supply store and build your own.

Comment

I cant believe this is a question ( Go to the hardware and buy the right plug )

Since you asked this question I'm going to go out on a limb and ask what size generator you have ( Meaning how many watts it is rated for )

This matters, The generator has to be able to supply ebouph amps as well as the proper voltage.

Just because the plug says its rated for 30amps does'nt always mean that thats what the generator is rated for.

Comment

Originally posted by brettbuck View Post
            So i bought the Miller diversion 180 welder and i went to plug the 20a 250 volt plug into my generator and it wont fit into my generator. My generator does not have a 20A 250volt plug, it has a 50A A.C. 240volt plug which is a little bigger than the welder plug. what should i do? do i need to get an adaptor or a transformer? where do i get one of these?
            Hi Brett,

the Miller 50amp 240v plug on the Diversion is a little misleading because for some reason Miller has 20A stamped on that plug BUT it is NOT a 20 amp plug.

It is a standard 240v 50amp rated Nema 6-50 that is common for welding machines.

You don't need a Transformer.

You do need an adapter to go from the plug on the Diversion to the generator receptacle.

Generators with enough power will either have a 4-prong twist L14-30r or a
            14-50R straight blade receptacle.

If you are not sure post up a photo of the receptacle on the generator and we'll get ya sorted out.

Comment

Originally posted by Portable Welder View Post
              I cant believe this is a question ( Go to the hardware and buy the right plug )

Since you asked this question I'm going to go out on a limb and ask what size generator you have ( Meaning how many watts it is rated for )

This matters, The generator has to be able to supply ebouph amps as well as the proper voltage.

Just because the plug says its rated for 30amps does'nt always mean that thats what the generator is rated for.
              You don't just go to the hardware store and buy the right plug: the Diversion 180 uses Miller's MVP system so that you can switch between 120v or 240v power.

If you hardwire a different plug it will Void the warranty and render the MVP system useless.

Comment

Amen, don't change the plug. Get a cord made up and you won't go wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Broccoli1 View Post
                  You don't just go to the hardware store and buy the right plug: the Diversion 180 uses Miller's MVP system so that you can switch between 120v or 240v power.

If you hardwire a different plug it will Void the warranty and render the MVP system useless.
                  I just sold my Diversion 180. Went through this same scenario. Take the 230 plug off the Diversion. Go to your electrical supply-get a female receptacle to match. While you are there, get a male plug to match your generator outlet, either three-prong straight, or four prong locking.

Buy the correct gauge wire according to the owners manual. If I remember right, the manual specified 10 gauge. Then connect the ends and you should be good to go. The connector plugs usually come with a color code for which wires go where. Usually it is green to green, white to silver, and black to gold or copper color. Good luck !

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.