Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

What filler to use before paint

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What filler to use before paint

I have put together a welding cart. I have ground down a few areas and I will sand them too. Still, a few areas are hard to get at. Do you fill the scratches before painting with a Bondo-like material? Do you use Bondo or something else? It would be nice if a product was available that did not have to be mixed.

Originally posted by Frank R View Post
    I have put together a welding cart. I have ground down a few areas and I will sand them too. Still, a few areas are hard to get at. Do you fill the scratches before painting with a Bondo-like material? Do you use Bondo or something else? It would be nice if a product was available that did not have to be mixed.
    Why fill your welds at all???

they can be painted as is....

Comment

It's a welding cart! Just paint it up! Its gonna get beat to death anyway.

Comment

I should clarify that is not the welds I am filling. It is mostly the adjacent steel that gets hit by the grinder.

Comment

Bondo works good. I do custom fencing handrails ect. I keep a 5 gal jug on hand.

Comment

If its an 1/8'' thick or less you can use glazing compound. Its a lil easier to work with and more forgiving

Comment

Originally posted by weldonwelding View Post
              If its an 1/8'' thick or less you can use glazing compound. Its a lil easier to work with and more forgiving
              Thanks! I woud use way less than 1/8 inch.

Any brands to recommend or should I just go to my auto paint store and ask for a glazing compound?

Comment

Bondo is ok

Comment

Working...
                X
                Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.