Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spoeedglas = bad investment...bummer

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spoeedglas = bad investment...bummer

About 6 years ago I bought a Speedglas 9000F hood. It is a really nice hood. It has a number 12 lens and as I am only running mig now, I cannot see a darned thing but the puddle. I just called 3M to get a new 10 lens and was told that it is 3 generations old and it would cost me $400 for a new lens, so I may as well just buy a new helmet. Now, to me, that is just tremendous customer service.

I'm in business and I understand product cycles, but you have to buy from people who support their products after the sale. In my opinion, speedglas has done anything but. Parts are a profit center but they should not be priced so that you push your customers away. At least that is the way I see it

I guess I'll run down and pick up that new Miller helmet I was looking at yesterday.

I use a 9100xx and i have never had a problem with it. But replacement outer lenses are pretty hard to find for it .

Comment

I was thinking about buying a Speedglas 9100xx but now I'm glad that I didn't yet. Service after the sale is extremely important; especially with the economy tanking. I'm glad I ran across this post...Thanks!

Comment

I bought a shield that is called a ( Arc One ) and have had it for a little over a year now and have been very pleased with it, I used to have a speed glass and gave it to my foreman.

I like the fact that I never have to turn it on and I like how the head gear tightens like a huntsman.

Keep in mind I have only had it for about 15 months, If mine broke tomorrow I would go get another one.

Comment

Thanks for the info. I'm going to look into that...

Comment

I just looked in the Speedglas manual and I see that the 9000F model has 10, 11, and 12. I thought that meant that the 9000F was adjustable for those three settings.
            Last edited by Synchroman; 10-03-2013, 07:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Synchroman View Post
              I just looked in the Speedglas manual and I see that the 9000F model has 10, 11, and 12. I thought that meant that the 9000F was adjustable for those three settings.
              From what I can gather, the F is for fixed shade. Was available in 10, 11 or 12. 9000V was variable shade 9 to 13. But I'm just guessing.

Comment

Originally posted by pin2hot View Post
                From what I can gather, the F is for fixed shade. Was available in 10, 11 or 12. 9000V was variable shade 9 to 13. But I'm just guessing.
                I guess that the 9000F only darkens to one shade. The manual is not clear on that. I can see how having only a 12 would be a problem. I use 10 most of the time and 9 on low amperage welds. I couldn't get by with only a 12. I can see what the OP means.

I don't think Speedglas is as popular since it changed hands. Mine was a Hornell version; then they went to 3-M but I don't know whether they are still with them.
                Last edited by Synchroman; 10-04-2013, 07:36 AM.

Comment

Whatever brand you buy ALWAYS make sure that the model you buy has a VARIABLE shade...

we all have made mistakes by not being well enough informed before purchase...

sounds like this was not a customer service problem... they had no way of anticipating your purchase mistake from 6 years ago..and your change in welding process.

sorry for your problem ... but it falls on you..

the good news is the autodark helmets are getting better and cheaper all the time..

I have bought several autodark helmets over the years.. some good.. some so so... one great (Miller BWE)..... and one real stinker (Jackson EQC)... but all of those purchases were a result of whether I had done my homework... I get the credit or the blame... not the manufacturer..
                  Last edited by H80N; 10-03-2013, 08:56 PM.

Comment

Spoeedglas = bad investment...bummer

H80N;

Wow!

How does this fall on the OP that Speedglass is trying to rape him for a replacement shade?

I understand he bought what he needed at the time but $400 for a new lense is ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by ericher69 View Post
                      H80N;

Wow!

How does this fall on the OP that Speedglass is trying to rape him for a replacement shade?

I understand he bought what he needed at the time but $400 for a new lense is ridiculous.
                      He has choice and free will.... he is not forced to buy the Speedglass..

Even the fixed shade 12 that he bought 6 years ago... if he got another 6 years out of the new replacement $400 lens... that would work out to be about 5.45 Cents a day... hardly exorbitant...

BUT ....There are many more choices available now..

there are now excellent, inexpensive autoshades for a fraction of the cost of the 6 year old technology of a replacement lens for that Speedglass....
                      I think PORTABLE WELDER may have suggested one...(arc one)

Heck.... even some of the Very Cheap chinee helmets are better than the 6 year old tech he is contemplating.. they have come a very long way...

The choice is up to him...
                      Last edited by H80N; 10-04-2013, 06:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ericher69 View Post
                        H80N;

Wow!

That's the blame game. People who believe that they are successful in a certain field often do that, especially on the internet.

As to replacements, there are some great units on the market now. My son bought one whose name escapes me now for $90. It weighs less than my Speedglas and has a 4" X 4" window with full adjustments including sensitivity. That will be my next welding purchase.

Comment

Love My Speedy

I Have had Four different models over the years. Always had variable shades. and never any issues. I bought all of them from ebay. you might be able to find a used shade ten on there. 3M bought speed glass a few years back that was to bad. 3M caters to big industry so the over the counter buyer is up the creek as far as price points for replacement parts.

Comment

speedglas 9000f

Coming from someone who had sold these things over the years, 9000F stopped being made 11-12 yrs ago. 9002F which is replacement upgrade, was sold up till last year? and the SL 100'S or 9100 series helmet is the latest being made by Speedglas. I seem to think you bought the last one that had sat on the shelf and struck a deal to move an old dead item. Shame on them for not telling you and next time do a little checking around. As much info that is on the internet these days will help make better decisions on the next purchase. Whatever you buy....make sure parts are available.

Comment

I am confused.

What I gather is that the hood works fine, but is too dark because it is a #12?

So nothing is wrong here other than the OP does not want to spend $400 to add to a $600 hood?

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.