Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tig By a Dummy (not for Dummies)

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tig By a Dummy (not for Dummies)

Tigging BY a Dummy 101

It all started when I had a big tig job coming up and I noticed I had only 600 psi left on my 336 cu ft (T) argon tank.

The job would need more than 600 psi so, being a cheapie, I thought of ways to use up the argon before swapping it out the next day.

Had some 1/8" alum sheet scraps and decided to tig up a pyramid.
    Each side is 3" long.

Cleaned the alum with scotchbrite and acetoned the plates and 3/32" alum tig 5356 wire.90 amps advanced squarewave - 200 hz - 3/32" pointed 2% thoriated tungsten - 15 cu ft/hr argon.

Learning should be fun so here goes..........................

I have numbered the beads and added (comments my instructor would make.)

Please study them for faults - there will be a test and prize.

1 - First weld - ("ok at start but you forgot to back off on current as the alum got hot - you dummy - bead got wider and then look !!!!!!!!!")

2 - Second weld - ("I thought you learned from 1 but same thing happened - no burn thru but still too hot - wake up - dummy x 2 !!")

3 - Third weld - ("You took a break and let piece cool down enough to handle - ok looks a little better but don't get too smug.")

4 - Fourth weld ("Bead is better but now a little too cool hence the high bead. "You are really a dummy !")

5 - Fifth weld ("You let piece cool and ran another - keep trying and don't quit your day job")

OK - match the numbers to the letters and win a 2 week vacation - free airfare, hotel and meals - booze is on you.

First prize is Bikini Atoll.

Second prize is Tora Bora.

A - If you tig - every bead deserves your best effort.
    If not, why the %&*%#@ are you here?.

B - Learn from (don't hide and show) your mistakes.

C - Get in a comfortable position before you tig -
    you wouldn't sit on a cactus to watch the Super Bowl so why.......................?

D - Read the other member's posts and study the photos.

E - If you have questions - ask the forum members - the advice they offer is priceless and free.

A final question which started all this mess - "why don't you get a second cylinder"?
    Duh - I have done just that.

PS - still have 100 psi argon left - guess I'll fill some balloons and roll them down the hill during tomorrow's soapbox derby race.

Lead balloons rock !
    Attached Files

Interesting, what to do with it now.

Fix the bad spots, finish the welds down and make a nice smooth seamless paper weight.

If your into it or might save it for later,,, practice polishing it.

Comment

I see a new thread in the making...

...4 sided aluminum dice for sale...lol

Comment

Working...
      X
      Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.