Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pondering on furthering my skills and qualifications

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Pondering on furthering my skills and qualifications

    Its been a long thought but I was wanting to learn more about tig welding and further my certifications. Any advice?

  • #2
    I know very little about tig welding enough to know the process but not enough to say I can do it with any efficiency. Is it really hard to get into and learn and how would this help my qualifications and certifications

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by trailerguy89 View Post
      I know very little about tig welding enough to know the process but not enough to say I can do it with any efficiency. Is it really hard to get into and learn and how would this help my qualifications and certifications
      TIG is my favorite process... and probably the most versatile...

      a skilled TIG welder can always find work..

      There are quite a few good videos on youtube...

      also if you have a local community college... a TIG course would give you a quick start with very low investment...

      You have probably heard it before ....

      BUT..

      Practice.. Practice.. Practice... to develop the rythm and regularity...

      and that.....

      Preparation, Fitup and Cleanliness are paramount...

      I would recommend the MILLER TIG Handbook... but they have taken it down for revision??

      http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...t=tig+handbook

      makes no sense to me either...

      You might post your thoughts on the subject on that thread...
      Last edited by H80N; 09-28-2013, 04:50 PM.

      Comment


      • #4
        You need to decide for yourself, Knowlege equalls money, The more you know the more your worth to a perspective employer or even to a current employer.

        Me personally, I'm always trying to learn.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Portable Welder View Post
          You need to decide for yourself, Knowlege equalls money, The more you know the more your worth to a perspective employer or even to a current employer.

          Me personally, I'm always trying to learn.
          1+

          TIG is a process that has applications across the spectrum... from MicroTIG on dies and precision assemblies to Massive forgings on ships and locomotives..

          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JHORlqvMnY


          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksqMflWWZ_Q


          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDPhYDQAAfI


          Last edited by H80N; 09-29-2013, 04:06 PM.

          Comment


          • #6
            It was too confusing to me about 5 years ago but now I feel I have the confidence to accomplish a more complex form of welding.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by trailerguy89 View Post
              It was too confusing to me about 5 years ago but now I feel I have the confidence to accomplish a more complex form of welding.
              I think you will enjoy TIG...

              Comment


              • #8
                I don't want to get in it for the pay but more like the amount of respect that comes with the knowledge of being proficient at all types of welding.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I say go for the pay. You cant eat the rest.

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X
                  Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.