Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Wire Gauge for Power Cord of Dynasty 350

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Wire Gauge for Power Cord of Dynasty 350

I am trying to run a 50 ft. power cord to my new dynasty 350. Which wire gauge size I should use for this purpose to ensure I will not overheat anything when welding at high amperages (6 AWG possibly?). I am wiring the welder for single phase to a NEMA 6-50 receptacle (250v). Does the length of my torch and/or the length of my ground have any bearing on the size requirements of this cord? Torch length is 25 ft. and ground is 35 ft. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Doesn't your owners manual have some information about this????

Comment

last resort-read the owner's manual

Originally posted by herynkc View Post
      I am trying to run a 50 ft. power cord to my new dynasty 350. Which wire gauge size I should use for this purpose to ensure I will not overheat anything when welding at high amperages (6 AWG possibly?). I am wiring the welder for single phase to a NEMA 6-50 receptacle (250v). Does the length of my torch and/or the length of my ground have any bearing on the size requirements of this cord? Torch length is 25 ft. and ground is 35 ft. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
      If you don't have the owner's manual, you can download it for your reading pleasure and education.

Comment

Originally posted by JSFAB View Post
        Doesn't your owners manual have some information about this????

Originally posted by dave powelson View Post
        If you don't have the owner's manual, you can download it for your reading pleasure and education.
        The Dyn 350 wants to see 43amps @ 230vac Single phase
        Slo Blo Fuse 50amps...
        MINIMUM Conductor size 8ga.... I am running 6ga for 50ft on mine...
        and would suggest that
        They can be bought premade with molded 6-50 connectors for a reasonable price from many internet suppliers.(think I spent about $120 5years ago)

All that being said.....

TAKE THE ADVICE PREVIOUSLY POSTED...

It is well worth your while to READ and understand your manual.....

The Dynasty IS NOT your Daddy's Syncrowave.... lots to learn and understand..

Much of it will go against what you may think to be TIG gospel...

just plug in your serial number to get the correct version

http://www.millerwelds.com/service/ownersmanuals.php

ALSO... there are some excellent Miller videos on the Dynasty that are well worth viewing... they might save some programming and operational head scratching...

The Dyn 350 is a whole new world... welcome aboard...

BTW... I have been running 25ft torches forever and not seen any problem or degradation... nor have I ever heard of any... My Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner came with a 25ft torch...
        Have never heard of any performance difference between the 25ft and 12ft TIG torches..
        Last edited by H80N; 09-22-2013, 12:14 PM.

Comment

tig gospel & the 350

Originally posted by H80N View Post
          The Dynasty IS NOT your Daddy's Syncrowave.... lots to learn and understand..

Much of it will go against what you may think to be TIG gospel...
          Amen to that!
          There's a good, long learning curve to tailoring the arc on the 350,
          but it's worth the effort.

Comment

Manual says 8 AWG with 108 ft. max input conductor length. So I think sizing it up to 6 AWG? should keep things safe under high amperages.

Comment

Match the cord size (AWG) that is on the machine, you'd be surprised its probably 10 awg. or maybe 8 awg

You also have to take into count duty cycle

Comment

Originally posted by herynkc View Post
                Manual says 8 AWG with 108 ft. max input conductor length. So I think sizing it up to 6 AWG? should keep things safe under high amperages.
                8 is minimum

6 certainly wont hurt

Comment

Working...
                X
                Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.