spoolmatic 30a connected to trailblazer 350 pro D

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• spoolmatic 30a connected to trailblazer 350 pro D

I'm trying to weld holes in aluminum fuel tanks and cant get the gun to get a good bead going. First the gun is burning up tips like crazy because I have to turn up the machine to like 160 to 180 to get the bead going, usually I only need to be around 80 to 90 or so. what should I try to troubleshoot this problem?

thanks,
    sressed out

Kinda need to know type of wire, gas used, thickness of tank, preheat ect.....

You MUST be in CV, obviously your in CC if your turning the amps up.

Comment

using alum wire .30, 4043 made by Aufhauser. running straight argon. tank is 3/16'' wall thickness. and yes i'm in cv no preheating. I havnt even started welding yet still trying to set the gun right.

thanks

Comment

Going to need preheat if your running 030, 035 not as much as its much higher in amp/volts. Lucky to get any puddle going with such small wire and no preheat.

Comment

Thanks for the advice. What setting should the amps be set to? Also i'm a little weary of preheating the base metal first as the tank is actually inside the hull of the boat on site. I usually would use a cutting torch to preheat but i fear this may be too much heat for this application.

Comment

Originally posted by bigjibz View Post
            Thanks for the advice. What setting should the amps be set to? Also i'm a little weary of preheating the base metal first as the tank is actually inside the hull of the boat on site. I usually would use a cutting torch to preheat but i fear this may be too much heat for this application.
            Are you POSITIVE that you are in CV mode??... in CV you set the VOLTAGE not Amps

You set AMPS in CC mode only...

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
            Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
            Dynasty 200DX
            Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
            Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

my bad you are correct H80N it is the voltage i've been talking about.

Comment

Thats why 035 will be MUCH better as it burns HOTTER. 3/15 and 030 AL, is not a good choice

So with 035 you will want around 23-26 volts, and about 7 on the 30A

Comment

Im going to give it a try on a test plate sometime today i'll let you guys know how I make out. Thanks for the advice

Comment

Don't Go BOOM...

Just a cautionary note...

you are purging the inside of the tanks with CO2 or dropping lots of dry ice inside before striking an arc on the tanks..?? right??

Diesel or Gas... PLS be careful...

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
                    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                    Dynasty 200DX
                    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
                    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

Working...
                    X