Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

New To the Forums

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New To the Forums

Hello to the all of the miller welding fans out there.

I'm new to the forums. What i wanted to know was which machine you guys would recommend. I have mig welding experience, and some tig welding experience. I'm by no means an expert or do this for a living. I graduated earlier this year from school with a degree in construction engineering/construction management. I'm currently looking for work, so i cant invest into a machine currently. I'm using my buddy's miller 135. I had to change the regulator to get it going. But since he is working on his 1950 Willys Jeep, he is doing hole and panel repair and is complaining about burning holes/burning through in the metal. Sorry for the long post.

But my question is 2 fold: Any suggestions to get the job done using the miller 175? Or is it better to use the miller 135?

Second: Should i get the miller millermatic autoset 140,180, or just spring for the 211? Since im new to welding and like working with my hands. I would like to learn as many processes as much as possible. So I was also considering the miller multimatic 200. The only thing im bummed about that unit is no AC TIG and no High Frequency TIG. Being new to TIG dont know how i would do with scratch start. Would I mess up tungsten alot?

So what are your thoughts on these machines? I dont currently see any need for aluminum welding I would be doing where i would need the smaller torch size of the tig torch rather than a mig machine with a spool gun.

What are your thoughts?

Thank you and I really appreciate all the tips and advice.
    Last edited by jakgop21; 09-17-2013, 05:40 PM.

My vote MM211...Bob

Comment

Tell your buddy to run 023" wire, He'll be much happier with the results, second off, maybe get a job, if your still into welding, then we'll advise you. No point buying something "just to get you by".

Comment

As cruiser said, just wait.

You mentioned in one paragraph you can't invest right now but then ask us about a couple machines???

Might be a MM 211.5 out by the time yer ready 😁

Comment

I have a 180 and love it. It has worked flawlessly for 4 years. But if I was gonna buy another machine I would pick up a 211 for the dual voltage capability, or keep my eye out for a used 252 or 251 for some more power.

Comment

Welcome to the forum 21.

Comment

New To the Forums

I love my 211. I am really surprised at what she will weld with only 120v input. IF I had to do it again I would probably buy the Multimatic 200 though. Just my $.2.

Comment

Originally posted by Precision View Post
                I love my 211. I am really surprised at what she will weld with only 120v input. IF I had to do it again I would probably buy the Multimatic 200 though. Just my $.2.
                Me too...

Comment

Originally posted by Precision View Post
                  The Multimatic 200 is worth it for sure. But if all you are doing is Mig and not traveling with it then a 211 would be great. You can never have enough power because you can always dial it down.

Comment

Becoming more impressed with my 211,

Had some 3/8 plate to weld the other day, the 211 made light work of it. I think it states that's one pass max for the machine but I could have actually turned it down a bit.

Comment

New To the Forums

Yeah, mine burns hot too. I'm not complaining!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.