Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

whats the best rod for dirty leaky poop pipe!

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• whats the best rod for dirty leaky poop pipe!

im a welder in a waste water plant and we get sludge line that crack or devolop pin holes at times. I have chased these leaks for 10 years now and always have a problem that when i weld the heat draws the water and sludge out and its hard to get it to seal...i mainly use a 6011 and cover it with a 7018 but its the same story..lasts a day or 2 then finds its way our...any help...please note these are always in the Y of 8" steel pipe..usually hard to get to and can only be done with stick due to the location

Thanks in advance

I have always heard that 6013 is a schitty rod.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by big mike View Post
        I have always heard that 6013 is a schitty rod.
        For sure...Bob

Comment

Try Lincoln 6010 5 P . Better yet, replace with schedule 10 stainless.

Comment

Best rod to use is one that someon else burns!

I can't imagine that there is going to be much better than 6010/11. I wonder, instead of welding the holes themselves, if it would be more effective to weld a patch on.

Comment

thx all ......the cost would be way to high for replacing the pipe with stainless..were talkin ALOT of pipe...it a huge plant the is capable of processing 400 million gal a day!!...

just needed some ideas on rods to keep on hand for in future...we welding 3/8" plates to box in the 45's

Comment

whats the best rod for dirty leaky poop pipe!

Try 7014.

Comment

Comment

"V" the cracks out as much as you can, then for sure 6010/11. That'll get he job done properly. 7018 won't work for you in this case.

Comment

youve got a crappy job

at least if your welds look crappy, your in the right place.

Comment

Some bracing or gussets on those wyes might keep the cracking down.....

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.