No announcement yet.

Whats your preferred work wear

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No the sunblock is not strong enough but I build trailers and weld with a regency 250. It cuts back on the fried skin and sharp pain every time you move. My work wear is sufficient for production welding. It would be different if it were flux core.

Comment

Originally posted by trailerguy89 View Post
      No the sunblock is not strong enough but I build trailers and weld with a regency 250. It cuts back on the fried skin and sharp pain every time you move. My work wear is sufficient for production welding. It would be different if it were flux core.
      What you may not realize is that the ULTRAVIOLET damage is cumulative and that the advertised SPF numbers are mostly BUNK...

Here is a thread that might be educational if you read the whole thing..

http://shopfloortalk.com/forums/show...light=melanoma

Fluxcore or Gas MIG... the UV is still there Don't kid yourself..
      Last edited by H80N; 09-24-2013, 07:35 AM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
      Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
      Dynasty 200DX
      Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
      Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

Touché good sir but alas u am still a poor family man trying to do the blue collar and not die in the process I could not afford proper protection. My children eat before I do. Sacrifices are made to ensure my family's safety all else is second including my own.

Comment

Originally posted by trailerguy89 View Post
          Touché good sir but alas u am still a poor family man trying to do the blue collar and not die in the process I could not afford proper protection. My children eat before I do. Sacrifices are made to ensure my family's safety all else is second including my own.
          Not trying to duel with you...

just hoping that you protect yourself enough to live long enough to see your grandkids...

little stuff like long sleeves and other body coverage... will help a bunch..

I do not think that Bob was kidding (AAMETALMASTER)...

Originally posted by aametalmaster View Post
          I have changed my way of welding over the last few months since i had some of my nose removed a few weeks ago...Bob

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
          Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
          Dynasty 200DX
          Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
          Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

Originally posted by H80N View Post

I do not think that Bob was kidding (AAMETALMASTER)...
            No i wasn't. And i was a guy on this very forum saying tee shirts and no hood for me because it was only tacking. Then my nose started growing a lump on the left side. I always turn my head to the right when tacking. So my face and nose was taking a beating for the last 38 years. The DR said he was going to remove the skin from my nose and under my left eye and dig around then find donor skin to rebuild my face. That was enough to scare me. He removed lots of skin from my nose and i should be OK. I asked what it was from and he said UV for sure. Hey if you need a welding jacket send me a message with your address and i will fix you up. Just my thoughts...Bob
            Bob Wright

Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
            http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Comment

I mig weld power transformers all day and used to wear the ****ies shop pants mainly to keep cooler but they would be destroyed every couple of months. I decided to try out the Duluth Co. Firehose 5 pocket Jeans. I don't need all the pockets because I'm doing shop work and all my tools are 3 feet behind me and I liked the heaver material used. I tested them out for a few months and I now have 2 more pairs. Love them. They don't get too hot, the crotch gusset really actually helps when I need to move all sorts of ways to get a weld and the back of the knees don't bunch up like regular jeans do. It also helps that I live close to the stores and it's a Wisconsin company. Win win.

Also, anyone wondering how much UV rays get emitted from welding should look at my pants. They are a dark brown and have the popular "faded" look just where the light hits. It always amazes me how people would pay $100$ on a pair of jeans that look like my work pants after a few months of welding haha.

Comment

Out of curiosity how much longer does FR clothing last vs regular work wear? Long enough to make it worth double the money? It should be double money double durability right?

Comment

I wear key work carpenter jeans and wrangler khaki pearl snaps shirts ( the thick ones) .

I've been working with a Mexican guy who wears a t shirt and jeans to weld in and uses the excuse that he is dark so he will be affected differently. Everyday he leaves fried! You can't expect longevity when you live for the moment.

Comment

duluth

Ive had 4 pairs of their firehose pants. Two replaced the originals i bought. They will be fine if you are in weeds all day. If you weld decking, or any structural iron they do not last me 3 wears. I can actually wear down a pair in a 40 hour week. Ive ripped the crotch out, i used a quickie saw cutting material and caught them on fire. Burnt half the leg off before i knew what was burning. I just buy shirts off uniform guy who gets old work shirts, i like carhartt jeans, but wranglers will do

Comment

Working...
                    X