Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Welding Beads

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welding Beads

I'm just a beginning welder and learning to weld with my mig welder. Its a Lincoln SP 130T and I'm running flux core wire. With these welds I was welding the 14ga tread plate floor to 2X3 tubing 1/8 thick. I've pretty much taught myself reading and watch youtube videos. Anyways I'd be interested in your feed back on my weld joints.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by TTREB4; 09-09-2013, 09:58 AM.

Im not a professional like the rest on here but the welds look like they need more voltage. Flux core just wont look as good as gas/feed but try a hotter setting and don't try to go to wide on your weld bead because it only compounds any problem you may have. If you burn thru either speed up your travel speed or turn it back a little. Keep on burning and when you make changes remember what ya did. You tube does have some good videos contrary to others opinions. Good luck.............
    Last edited by Fireman; 09-09-2013, 07:16 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by Fireman View Post
      Im not a professional like the rest on here but the welds look like they need more voltage. Flux core just wont look as good as gas/feed but try a hotter setting and don't try to go to wide on your weld bead because it only compounds any problem you may have. If you burn thru either speed up your travel speed or turn it back a little. Keep on burning and when you make changes remember what ya did. You tube does have some good videos contrary to others opinions. Good luck.............
      Thanks I'll give it a try.

Comment

I'll second your opinion about You Tube videos. I went through 2 years of welding school. Now working as a welder. I still check out the You Tube welding videos. And I continue to learn! Check out Jodie on Welding Tips & Tricks.com. He has the game when it come to welding! Also has some sweet welding tools. Check out the "Tig Finger". Great tool!!!

Comment

Originally posted by 'Stang View Post
          I'll second your opinion about You Tube videos. I went through 2 years of welding school. Now working as a welder. I still check out the You Tube welding videos. And I continue to learn! Check out Jodie on Welding Tips & Tricks.com. He has the game when it come to welding! Also has some sweet welding tools. Check out the "Tig Finger". Great tool!!!

Yeah Jody is a really good welder. Tig finger looks good. Do you have one?? Looks like it is a good tool

Comment

I've taught myself basically the same way. The more I weld, the easier it gets (sometimes!). I learned a lot from watching Jodie's videos and wouldn't miss them. I've actually welded several things for people...and they STILL talk to me!

I bought his tig finger and it really does work. I recommend it.

Comment

What kind of flux core are you using because there is a gasless kind and one which you need gas for it to be effective, as far as practicing I would recommend that you draw two parallel lines with soapstone about 3/8" apart and practice staying between them, also try making some groove welds and watch the puddle fall into place, it helps you grasp the overall concept of him the puddle behaves, hope this helps

Comment

Working...
              X
              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.