Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Compressor filter/dryers

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compressor filter/dryers

I have a structural steel project here at the house. I'll be starting in about 10 days and will be using my Hypertherm 380 for the cutting and my brand new 211 for the welding. Problem is my compressor currently has no moisture prevention equipment. What should I put on the system to not tear up my 380? Much obliged!

I use a devilbiss QC3 for my plasma. I used to use a cheapo little filter right on the back of my plasma and since I've switched to this my consumables have considerately jumped in life. I got it through amazon.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackfre View Post
      I have a structural steel project here at the house. I'll be starting in about 10 days and will be using my Hypertherm 380 for the cutting and my brand new 211 for the welding. Problem is my compressor currently has no moisture prevention equipment. What should I put on the system to not tear up my 380? Much obliged!
      Where do you live? If it's not that humid where you live your needs will be different from those that live in areas of the country that are especially humid.

Here's the one I'm going to eventually buy.

http://www.usaweld.com/Plasma-Cuttin...ories-s/63.htm

Comment

I'm not sure whether or not every model comes this way but my hypertherm has a built in filter-dryer. I'ts located inside. I didn't know it had one until I needed to remove the cover and saw it in there.

Comment

Have had excellent results with the Motor Guard brand "toilet paper" style water separators..

http://www.tptools.com/1and4-Water-Separators.html
          Last edited by H80N; 09-10-2013, 10:36 AM.

Comment

The Great Lakes GRF-20 refrigerated air dryer on the compressor output has been providing terrific service.

It is quiet, long-life and great performance.

The compressed air changed from shooting water drops to not any water issue.

Comment

Originally posted by wingless View Post
              The Great Lakes GRF-20 refrigerated air dryer on the compressor output has been providing terrific service.

a great way to go..!!!

Refrigerated air dryers are the best answer for large volumes of DRY air....

they do tend to be pretty proud of them though....

be prepared for sticker shock..!!... might cost more than your compressor..

Comment

Yeah, I looked at the refrigerated ones too - price is why the air for my PM45 goes into this

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and then into this

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

consumables have about 120 feet of cut on anywhere from 16 ga. to 3/4", still look new... Steve

Comment

Originally posted by wingless View Post

Originally posted by H80N View Post
                  a great way to go..!!!

Refrigerated air dryers are the best answer for large volumes of DRY air....

they do tend to be pretty proud of them though....

be prepared for sticker shock..!!... might cost more than your compressor..
                  This was an older unit ~10 years old, purchased on Craig's List.

The cost was okay.

Comment

I prefer the Hurricane style. ( not the automatic drain) They are cheap, and best of all ZERO maintanance. Same sort of ones that generally come with the unit, cept bigger.

Get one, one size over the line, so say if you have a 1/2" line, get one for 3/4" and step it down.

So what you do is install the unit, and open its bottom drain valve a hair, for slight bleed. thats it, no canisters, no corrogated toilet cartriges to change. Removes 99.9% of the water

Comment

I'm going to build a mobile coalescing tank and come off the tank with a Motor Guard filter and hook the quick disconnect work hose to my sand blaster or spray gun and air tools .

I made one out of 2" pipe for my sand blaster and put a cap on top and a auto radiator pet **** from NAPA on the bottom, I used a 1" solid rod for a stand off to weld the 2" pipe to the sandblaster's tank.

Been told my sandblaster is bomb, not to use it, so I wouldn't want anyone to copy it.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by tackit; 09-12-2013, 10:23 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.