Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

MillerMatic 35s Wiring

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MillerMatic 35s Wiring

I have a old 35s that has always seemed like the wire speed adjustment didnt have the range that it really should. a few weeks ago the adjustment went out totally and the wire run full speed. Upon opening the machine up i discovered that the rheostat only has wires on two of the lugs. (the middle or common and one of the others) I have purchased a new rheostat, but im not clear on hooking it up. Ive tried to look at the wireing diagrams online and they are not clear enough to read. Is there anyone out there that is famaliar with this old machine. Any help would be greatly appericated. Keep in mind that im not very electricly educated.

#51 to the middle and #50 twinned to #46 to the other side. There is lots of different diagrams for this machine, so serial#'s are always handy to look up the correct one.

Comment

Originally posted by cruizer View Post
      #51 to the middle and #50 twinned to #46 to the other side. There is lots of different diagrams for this machine, so serial#'s are always handy to look up the correct one.
      Are you saying that wires will only be hooked to 2 lugs on the reostate? I haven't been able to located a serial #.

Comment

Originally posted by WILDGSXR View Post
        Are you saying that wires will only be hooked to 2 lugs on the reostate? I haven't been able to located a serial #.
        Since its a Rheostat, generally they take only the wiper and one side. and thats what the wiring diagram says for all the models of 35's

Comment

Ok, Thanks ! Maybe it was hooked up right in the first place then. It just threw me off that the one pole had nothing on it and i noticed someone had been in there before, because there were wire nuts on the drive motor. i didnt wanna put the new reostate in there and burn it up. ill hook it back up how the old one came out and see what i get.
          Thanks very much for the info !

Comment

Just for my info. I know that the middle lug is the wiper. What is the difference in the other 2 lugs ?

Comment

I found the serial number also 72-638470

Comment

Just for my info. I know that the middle lug is the wiper. What is the difference in the other 2 lugs ?
                Measure it with your ohm meter. Usually one goes from minimum to maximum and the other goes from maximum to minimum in the same rotational direction.---Meltedmetal

Comment

Originally posted by Meltedmetal View Post
                  Measure it with your ohm meter. Usually one goes from minimum to maximum and the other goes from maximum to minimum in the same rotational direction.---Meltedmetal
                  That makes it much clearer to me! I had ohm'd it before, but didn't pay attention to it going opposite ways. So, if the wire speed goes the opposite way you turn the knob, you would just switch lugs? Am I understanding this correctly?

Comment

That makes it much clearer to me! I had ohm'd it before, but didn't pay attention to it going opposite ways. So, if the wire speed goes the opposite way you turn the knob, you would just switch lugs? Am I understanding this correctly?
                    I don't know the specifics of your particular application but I would say that switching the connections would switch the direction of adjustment. Most rheostats I am familiar with have one connection to the wiper and one each to each end of the resistor that is effectively tapped along its length by the wiper.---Meltedmetal

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.