Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

First time spool gun user! Help

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First time spool gun user! Help

Hi guys, I have a millermatic 185
    and a friend gave me a used 30a spool gun!
    I'm not much of a steel welder but been wanting to learn aluminum.
    now the issue when trying to use it I can get a weld that looks ok for the first time
    but every other try starts with a spark and wire balled up in the gun?
    I can't tell that I am doing anything different?
    but it is most of the time. The wire speed is controlled on the machine not the gun
    because of the type machine. Any idea what to look for? Thanks

Huh, you can't plug a 30a gun onto a 185 for one thing, maybe tells us what machine you really have?

Comment

It does look like you can not add a spool gun to the mm185. You can the mm180 though

Comment

Originally posted by bigtow30t View Post
        It does look like you can not add a spool gun to the mm185. You can the mm180 though
        The hookup chart mentions a "Spoolmate 185"

http://www.millerwelds.com/products/...gun-chart.html

Might have to do some adapting to make that 30A hook up...

Comment

Guys, Sorry. I bought a switch kit and a adapter cable that lets me hook up with a switch inside Anyway it won't use the spool gun wire feed control
          but have to just use the machine wire control

Comment

Originally posted by fishbum View Post
            Guys, Sorry. I bought a switch kit and a adapter cable that lets me hook up with a switch inside Anyway it won't use the spool gun wire feed control
            but have to just use the machine wire control
            "switch kit and a adapter cable"

Could you give us more details, supplier?, model?

installation and op instructions?

pics?

Comment

My MM185 has the adapter switch and has hose tee on it. Power cable just bolts on inside the machine. It is supposed to use the 3035 gun not the 30A.

Comment

Pretty tough to hookup the 30A to the 185, even so, 030 AL wire and straight Argon is what your after

Comment

It does look like you can not add a spool gun to the mm185.
                  Really. I have been using my MM185 with a 3035/Spool Mate 185 since '99...Bob
                  Attached Files

Comment

Sorry I did not complete my thoughts, I was thinking that it was not a plug and play.
                    My mm211 is set up for it from the start. I did not see anything about it in the manual for the mm185 I found at a friends shop.

Comment

I'm certainly no expert but somebody told me this when I was in your position so I'll pass it on to you. Aluminum absolutely must be clean to get a proper weld. If it's oxidized it must be cleaned before welding. You can get the right kind of acid from your welding supplier. Make sure that the aluminum alloy your welding on is the same alloy that your welding with. Your supplier should be able to help you with that also. Use a stainless steel wire brush to clean your weld after each and every pass. Make sure it is a stainless steel brush and never use that brush on anything other than aluminum.

To address the problem of the wire burning back and balling up. I think either your wire speed is too slow or your heat is too high. If that's not the problem then make sure your tip is recessed at least a minimum of ⅛" inside your nozzle and when you pull the trigger make sure that you can hear the gas coming out just before you see the wire coming out. I hope something mentioned here will help. Good Luck!

Comment

Originally posted by fishbum View Post
                        Hi guys, I have a millermatic 185
                        and a friend gave me a used 30a spool gun!
                        I'm not much of a steel welder but been wanting to learn aluminum.
                        now the issue when trying to use it I can get a weld that looks ok for the first time
                        but every other try starts with a spark and wire balled up in the gun?
                        I can't tell that I am doing anything different?
                        but it is most of the time. The wire speed is controlled on the machine not the gun
                        because of the type machine. Any idea what to look for? Thanks
                        As JL- mentioned Aloominum welding is a lot more finicky than steel.

everything has to be just right and even then you will have some tough starts to get the feel of AL mig welding.

The Tip to work distance has to be precise, wire speed precise etc etc.

Clip the wire for every start.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.