Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you spot weld a plug weld?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you spot weld a plug weld?

For the autobody repairs that I'm doing, I'm using a lot of plug welds. Obviously, these don't have the same appearance as the factory spot welds. I recently picked up a used miller spot welder and was wondering if I could go back and use the spot welder over the plug weld. I've tested it on pieces and it looks OK and seems strong enough. Intuitively, it seems like it should be OK. I'm just an amateur, so I thought I would get opinions from people with more experience. My real concern is does it weaken the original plug weld? Is there any downside to doing this? Any other thoughts?

Unless I'm missing something, why do you feel the need to go over the plug weld(s) with a spot weld?

On automotive sheet metal, a properly done plug weld is only slightly more detectable than a typical spot weld and will hold just as good.
    Last edited by duaneb55; 09-05-2013, 12:40 PM.

Comment

Strickly for appearance. After grinding the plug weld it pretty much disappears. In certain places, I would like it to look like the factory spot weld.

Comment

Originally posted by rick66pony View Post
        Strickly for appearance. After grinding the plug weld it pretty much disappears. In certain places, I would like it to look like the factory spot weld.
        why not put your "cosmetic" spotwelds on either side of your plugwelds??..

would probably give you a more authentic looking "dimple"... if that is the effect you are trying for in a Mustang?... restoration... just a guess from your Sig...
        Last edited by H80N; 09-05-2013, 01:27 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X
        Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.