Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Water cooler for Airco Heli Welder

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water cooler for Airco Heli Welder

Hello all, I recently was given an old Airco Heli Welder, mdl. 2A/DDR-224HPA/B-D. I am trying to build a water cooler on a budget. I bought a pond pump (158gph) from harbor freight. This pump does not move water thru the torch, (barely a trickle). I checked all the lines thru the torch and the solenoid valve and are open. Do I need a pump that will produce a high pressure to push the water thru the torch hoses. I was hoping that the pump I bought would push the water thru since it is basically a open system. Thanks

Originally posted by 609thomasm View Post
    Hello all, I recently was given an old Airco Heli Welder, mdl. 2A/DDR-224HPA/B-D. I am trying to build a water cooler on a budget. I bought a pond pump (158gph) from harbor freight. This pump does not move water thru the torch, (barely a trickle). I checked all the lines thru the torch and the solenoid valve and are open. Do I need a pump that will produce a high pressure to push the water thru the torch hoses. I was hoping that the pump I bought would push the water thru since it is basically a open system. Thanks
    you need to look for a Procon vane pump set for 60 psi @ around 2 gallons per minute..

here is a thread on SFT that should answer your questions..

including some of the gotchas..

http://shopfloortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39374
    Last edited by H80N; 08-28-2013, 07:56 AM.

Comment

Yes, a Procon is the pump of choice for a water cooler on a welder. I have a couple of them and they take a lickin' and keep on tickin'.

Comment

Working...
      X
      Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.