hammers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hammers

Big red hand protectors,on a chisel, never!!! If I were a blacksmith bangin on an anvil all day you bet your sweet arse I'm using wood, but I don't. Driven many a 16d framin houses and 8d on deck boards before nail guns were even the norm. I just like my Estwing boss.

Comment

Owned many wooden hammers before buying a estwing ball peen. Its the best hammer I've owned hands down
      Miller Bobcat 225NT onan
      Millermatic 211
      Spoolmate 100
      (Retapped to fit regular mig tips)
      Work better & less parts to stock.
      Miller 130xp
      T/A Dragster 85 (portability 11 pounds)
      Oxygen/Acetylene torch set 50'
      2. 4-1/2" grinders
      1. 9" grinder
      14" Makita chop saw
      1/2" Aircat impact gun 900#

Comment

I don't have a preference of brand, and in fact most of my hammers come my way because they have no handles. I had a job some time back that needed a bunch of hickory cut up. This left me with many feet of hammer handle sized pieces. Since then I have taken to shaping my own handles.
        I also was at a blacksmith workshop a while back with the Brazeal brothers, and learned how to make my own hammers. That hammer I made has become my go to hammer in the smithy. It taught me some important things about balance as well as handle length and shape.
        I would put any of my hammers up against anyone else's hammer of same head design/weight and feel I would come out on top. Once you figure out how to make a handle that suits you perfectly, you can hit much harder and more accurately.
        Last edited by walker; 08-25-2013, 05:24 PM.

Comment

Im surprised nobody even mentioned nupla hammers, i just saw a nice metalworkers set of hammers made by nupla in the new msc metalworkers paper. i always thought of estwing as a woodworkers hammer.

Comment

hammers

You are indeed correct sir.

Comment

I dont have a brand preference, I love going to flee markets and finding misc. hammers, I have about 5 hammers on my welding rig and about 10 hanging on the walls in the shop.

Its not always about the handle, Its not always about the head, Its not always about the shape of the head, Its not always about the length of the handle.

Its about the right combination.

I have several hammers on the wall and they all have their place depending on material thickness and how I need to form it.

Comment

I love my drilling hammer. It is a minature sledge. Small enough handle and head to get into tight places, yet enough mass to do something anytime.

I have broken rocks stuck between disc blades with it or used it to separate ball joints. Used it just a few minutes ago removing the blades from my lawn mower deck.

Dont know why they are not more popular.

Comment

Fabricators should fabricate

I have a ten pound sledge head welded on 16 inches of 4inch cold rolled steel

Comment

Any Flatter fans?

That and an old "railroad" hammer.
                    It has a homemade fiberglass reinforced handle.
                    I have a Stewart that gets nails where they go.

Comment

Snap On 3050B

Simply one of my best purchases ever. This hammer is a game changer for sure. I find a new use for it every time I think I might want to smack something.

Also, its my only snap on tool I own.... Other stuff is too expensive, this one is worth the money.

Comment

I have two sons, each has an entourage, weekends and evenings are busy. I have enough receipts that include hammers to fill a shoe box. I bet my oldest hammer is 2 years old. The best hammer would have a homing device. Typically if I find a tool I can't be too fussy, sometimes making do with a piece of pipe or rock.
                        Dynasty 280DX
                        Bobcat 250
                        MM252
                        Spool gun
                        Twentieth Century 295
                        Twentieth Century 295 AC
                        Marquette spot welder
                        Smith torches

Comment

hammers

3lb with 10 inchx2inch cold rolled welded to it. Had it 8years now works great along with the other 4 I have on the wall
                          Syncrowave 250
                          Millermatic 210
                          dialarc 250
                          spectrum 375x
                          trailblazer 302
                          Lincoln 135

Comment

I like Estwing hammers for carpentry but their chipping hammers are way too soft...
                            Originally posted by jpence38 View Post
                            These are the only hammers that I would buy. A little more pricy, but will last longer than me.

http://www.estwing.com/specialty_tools.php

Comment

And for the record it's hard to top the Snap-On dead blow ball peens for comfort and force....just don't leave them on anything hot.....lifetime warranty too.
                              Originally posted by JerseyWelder View Post
                              I like Estwing hammers for carpentry but their chipping hammers are way too soft...

Comment

Working...
                              X