Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

ideas/help/insight.......Cast iron pump

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ideas/help/insight.......Cast iron pump

I work at a waste water treatment plant and one of our pumps devoloped a pin hole in the cast housing and is leaking. I tried a cast rod but its paper thin and just opened up on contact and is now the size of a dime. Im thinking tomorrow to grab the mig gun with stainless wire and try to put a band-aid on it until we can rebuild it. any ideas or comments would be much appreciated. its up underneath and is dirty and i can even fit a grinder where it is..

Thanks in advance
    Bill

ideas/help/insight.......Cast iron pump

If could get clean, Tig with Ni-rod or even SS rod would work in a pinch.
    Otherwise cut small patch just little bigger than hole out of 3/16 steel and I'd try Ni-rod and stick weld patch over hole.

Comment

Could you braze-weld a patch over top of the hole with an O/A torch?

I just braze-welded a broken cast-iron C-clamp and it seems pretty darn strong!

Comment

I like to use silicon bronze with tig. Works great as long as you don't have to drill where u used it

Comment

thanks so far to everyone

Comment

ok heres how it went...this pump is 40ft underground with no power there so tig was out of question...i ran 2 extension cords to myMiller Multimatic 200 Auto-Set Elite Welder

using stainless wire and a 90% helium 7.5% argon and 2.5% carbon mix it welded smooth even was in overhead position...thx for the help

Comment

Working...
            X
            Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.