Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

grinding out a curve on square or round bar.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• grinding out a curve on square or round bar.

Is there any machine that would make grinding out a curve in order to hold round bar any easier/quicker?
    Attached Files

Try a hole saw in a drill press easy and cheap

Comment

^^
      Hole saw in a good drill press

Edit- if you are only doing set ups like in yer pic then a hole saw in a DP but for any angles you'll need a Tube Notcher

http://www.jd2.com/t-notchercomparison.aspx

You can Google or you tube notchers to see how they work.

Edit #2

You can also use your Chop saw on Tubing

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/shop-...-pictures.html
      Last edited by Broccoli1; 08-14-2013, 08:36 AM.

Comment

Guys thanks very much, I just wouldn't have thought of the hole saw.

Comment

Those pipe Notchers look great.

Comment

I have the jd2 its pretty good. Had to mess with the alignment of the clamp when I first got it. It was little off center, but now it's good. Don't buy a cheap one or you will be fighting it

Comment

No more cheap stuff for me, I've found that out the hardway better to save and do it right. Thanks again for the info. I

Comment

Make a template from sheet metal to trace it then use a torch or plasma cutter. Or make a thicker template that you can just run the torch around or a plasma cutter. Have the radius figured out for either the torch or pc to have it cut exactly where you want the hole. Should only be a minute on each side and they should be perfect with no grinding if done right...Bob

Comment

I don't have it yet, but this is on my list. Baileigh tube notcher TN 250

http://metal.baileighindustrial.com/tube-notcher-tn-250

Comment

I've always just cut these out with a torch, dress up a bit with a grinder. Unless you are doing hundreds and thousands of these, I cannot understand spending stupid amounts of money to replicate the same cut, over and over again.

Comment

V-blocks

Originally posted by Bossman2000 View Post
                      Is there any machine that would make grinding out a curve in order to hold round bar any easier/quicker?
                      I'm a little late with a reply. Work too much-visit too little! From your pictures, it looks like you are trying to hold round stock in position. When I was working as a machinist-we always secured round stock for milling with v-blocks in our milling vise. It automatically centers, and in your case, changing the tops of your stands to a "v" with plate-it will handle different sizes of round stock without changing anything. Just my opinion. Always looking for a better way to do it!

Comment

Looks like you only have a few.....just take a small drop of the round stock, turn it sideways and lay against the side of tube. Measure the depth you want the notch with a combo square for consistency. Mark with soapstone and burn, plasma or drill. If you lay the hole out before cutting the metal you can center punch and use a hole saw without a drill press. Then just cut it afterwards. Dave

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.