Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dirty Tactics

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dirty Tactics

What do you think about Volunteering your work to get your name out there?

Is that dirty? Do you think it would be a good idea?

I googled it after I thought of it and it seems a common practice. Of course I did not find anything where a welding business was discussed.

There will be cost to weld for charities. But why not? there are cost for websites, cards and every other type of advertising out there.

I've never seen a discussion on this and just thought I would get it out there and see what others think about it.

On one hand it seems hippacritical (stupid spell check)
    and on the other hand it seems very practical and helpful.

I would have to consider this way more than this pop-up thought in my head before getting involved.

Anybody have experience here with it? or just thoughts on it?

It's done all the time.

Comment

I did it a few years ago. Got my name and picture in the paper. Didn't make a dime but it really didn't bother me. Always glad to help someone out...Bob

Comment

Dirty Tactics

We have a non profit here that maintains the cleanliness of our local lake. They are really nice ppl and don't really get a lot of donations but do a great job. I offer them my services for whatever they need( within reason). They in turn put my name and number in their association monthly email and flyer that gets delivered to a of the association members whom own countless docks. Now I don't get every call but when I do they usually say how awesome it is that I do service for them. Advertising to that type of clientele is pretty darn expensive these days. I spend waaaay less in consumables and fuel. Just my $.2.

Comment

Don't feel dirty- Volunteers are hard to come by and even though you feel that you are only volunteering to get a payback, your help on whatever project they need still gets done and you might enjoy it and just volunteer to volunteer and you'll get work indirectly through Karma

Other part of the Giving aspect is that charity events also need sponsors and as mentioned, Sponsors, which could be you at whatever level you can contribute- do it for exposure and it usually helps a good cause. This would be buying ad space or donating time/labor/services and you get an ad or a brief mention in the copy.

All non profit donations are a write off.

It is networking also.

Comment

The title of this post is poor. Sorry.

I am going to follow up on it locally and see what I can find out. As long as I could get out and help some people, that would be good enough.

I use up so much in consumables every week just welding scrap I might as well try and put some of it towards helping out somewhere.

Just starting to think about it today actually changed my whole reason for asking about it. It is something I should do, maybe it will help later on, maybe not but now that doesn't matter.

You guys are right, thanks for the reply's.

Comment

I put in maybe 1,000 hours and hundreds of $ over the span of five years helping our high school FIRST robotics team as a mentor. My kids were on the team, but there was another mentor who did it just because.

I had some great times with the kids and it was rewarding to see some go on to become engineers. I was in charge of the basic drive train platform. It always worked adequately and never had a breakdown. One year we received a Motorola Quality Award.

Comment

USMCPOP, that would consume my life. I wouldn't be able to take myself away from a project like that.

I emailed Habitat For Humanity and let them know I would be willing to volunteer my services. No response just yet, it went out about 4am this morning.

I think I'll hit up the local Public Services Next. The Sheriffs Office,, Law Enforcement Center is one I would like to give back to. Great group of people.

They treat people with respect, unlike some agency's.

Comment

Dirty Tactics

We still hv all Volunteer Fire Depts. in our area. I normally donate my work or sometimes bill materials at cost & donate labor. Just did a Alm. Flag pole for them. It's a win win for everyone.
                  Greg

Comment

So the way I take it you are asking about donating your services to a good cause not just to anyone. Doing it as a way of getting your name/skills out there?

If that is the case don't do it just to get work because you might not get anything at all except the satisfaction of helping (which is great). You should also be disciplined to say no as needed. The more you do the more is expected of you. I'm not against it at all as my wife & I both log in hours as volunteers pretty regularly but learning how to say no & not feel guilty is hard.

Comment

Originally posted by MMW View Post
                      So the way I take it you are asking about donating your services to a good cause not just to anyone. Doing it as a way of getting your name/skills out there?

If that is the case don't do it just to get work because you might not get anything at all except the satisfaction of helping (which is great). You should also be disciplined to say no as needed. The more you do the more is expected of you. I'm not against it at all as my wife & I both log in hours as volunteers pretty regularly but learning how to say no & not feel guilty is hard.
                      Good point.

Comment

Just another thought. You don't have to use your services to volunteer. You can volunteer as your business but do something else other than weld & still get your name out there. Ever see the roadside signs that say "this section of road kept litter free by xxxxxxxx company"? Many organizations hold fundraisers & list the company names that send volunteers who just help where ever is needed.

I don't think many places would want someone welding on something unless they are fully licensed & insured.

Comment

Exceptional points of view. The road side litter signs is genius. I can't remember how much is required to be kept up, I don't know the requirements yet. LOL

But again I am misleading with what I write.

My thoughts of the Sheriffs Office would be directed to the employees that work there. This may be bass akwards to what I should be thinking.

However the free work would go to them as individuals. I'm thinking small jobs that can be hand carried through the door and put on the table or trailer, lawn mower, simple things.
                          I wasn't thinking about going to the LEC and working on the property there.

My intent was to help out with what ever repairs or projects the individual's may need that work for places like that.

Believe me I understand how Volunteers can be asked to go above and beyond what a volunteer should. I was in the Rescue Squad for a number of years. All volunteer. Then the county admin would ask the volunteers to volunteer for work that the county needed done that had nothing to do with Rescue.

Rescue helped people in need, vehicle wrecks mostly, medic assistance, water recovery and first responding. But climbing a fire tower and changing antennas etc. was some added BS I didn't think to highly of.

Maybe this is why I am leaning more to helping those who work there and not the establishment itself. I would but those jobs probably would require more out of pocket expense than I could keep up with.

Per every 100 employees, how many would actually need welding? Maybe 10 if that? But all 100 would know your name and know your asking to give them something.

If you went to the LEC to fix a railing I doubt many would even know who you were or how it came about unless you could stay with it for a long time, but the abuse would surly come.

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.