Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What generator would be good for a mm200?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AwesomeAlbert
    started a topic What generator would be good for a mm200?

So I have a MultiMatic 200 and I'm wondering what generator I get to run my welder at MAXIMUM performance? Got any suggestions? Thanks guys!

• 'Stang
    replied
    Generator for MM200

Originally posted by AwesomeAlbert View Post
    So I have a MultiMatic 200 and I'm wondering what generator I get to run my welder at MAXIMUM performance? Got any suggestions? Thanks guys!
    I would suggest the Honda Black Max. I bought one at the local Sam's Club. It has 8700 starting watts/7000 continuous. I run a Miller 211 off it as well as a Dynasty 200 DX, and a Lincoln Invertec 155. It will also run my Hypertherm PM30. It retails for $999. in my area. Hope this helps

Leave a comment:

• AwesomeAlbert
    replied
    Thanks Broccoli, I set the pigtail up as per your diagram and it works like a beauty. I wound up goin with a 7k continuous watt "CHAMPION" from costco (they have an awesome no-questions warranty program there.) And thanks for all of the input guys, it has been very educational!
    Last edited by AwesomeAlbert; 08-15-2013, 11:46 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Broccoli1
    replied
    Originally posted by Precision View Post
    Broccoli, what gauge wire is that?
    10g but it is a heavy duty jacket on it.
    Last edited by Broccoli1; 08-14-2013, 07:26 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Precision
    replied

Broccoli, what gauge wire is that?

Leave a comment:

• Broccoli1
    replied
    Gotchya, that makes sense... when I run into this problem I'll make another posting on the forums ( if I can't educate myself enough to make the conversion)

Leave a comment:

• AwesomeAlbert
    replied
    Gotchya, that makes sense... when I run into this problem I'll make another posting on the forums ( if I can't educate myself enough to make the conversion)

Leave a comment:

• Broccoli1
    replied
    but the multimatic200 has the fancy MVP hook up, so will that still be necesary?
    Yes- the MVP 240v plug is a 6-50
    The receptacle on the genset is an L14-30

You'll need a pigtail to plug in to the genset or make an extension cord with the L14-30 on ne end and the 6-50 on the other end

Leave a comment:

• AwesomeAlbert
    replied
    Originally posted by Precision View Post
    If you do end up buying the Generac or another generator that has the 14-30 plug you will need an adapter to the 6-50 on the welder/cutter. EVSEadapter.com has some pre wired ones that are reasonably priced.

but the multimatic200 has the fancy MVP hook up, so will that still be necesary?

Leave a comment:

• Bistineau
    replied
    We have a NICE Kohler generator at work, that could easily power Two of those Multi Matic 200's a few grinders, an air compressor, some lights, and a small subdivision all at once with no problem. But it's only 300KW. If you want, I can get the model number for you. Hey, he never said it had to be easily transported. But on the right truck it wouldn't be a problem, even with the fuel supply and distribution center. It has a 500HP Detroit Diesel, 6V-92. Plenty of power for this application.

Leave a comment:

• Precision
    replied

If you do end up buying the Generac or another generator that has the 14-30 plug you will need an adapter to the 6-50 on the welder/cutter. EVSEadapter.com has some pre wired ones that are reasonably priced.

Leave a comment:

• AwesomeAlbert
    replied
    Gotchya, I missed that link on your last posting. Im thinking of going with the Generac, online reviews give the Westinghouse better statistics though

Leave a comment:

• Broccoli1
    replied
    So a 5500 watt generator would would be ideal, but as a couple other users stated I'm going to be using other tools and lights on the generator. So I figure a 7500 watt would be more than sufficient. I was just wondering between which of the 2 generators I should go with that I put in the previous post.
    Yorkie on welding web uses a generac with good results- that is his 2nd one- first one just too many hours so he bought a new one.

Leave a comment:

• AwesomeAlbert
    replied
    Originally posted by Broccoli1:310557
    Originally posted by jpence38 View Post
    Considering the input power needed to run your machine, I would say that a 3000 continuous watt generator would be plenty. As for the brand, that would depend on your budget.
    That's still way too small for the multimatic

3000/240v= 12.5 amps

The Multmatic draws 18amps at rated 150 welding amps Mig and 20 amps Stick

20amps x 240v = 4800 watts continuous so yer looking for a genset that is around 5500watts

So a 5500 watt generator would would be ideal, but as a couple other users stated I'm going to be using other tools and lights on the generator. So I figure a 7500 watt would be more than sufficient. I was just wondering between which of the 2 generators I should go with that I put in the previous post.

Leave a comment:

• Broccoli1
    replied
    Thanks for the input guys! a miller generator/welder is a little out of my budget, I just bought the Multimatic and love it! Im thinking of getting either a Generac GP7500E, or the Westing House WH7500E. Any body know witch one is a better piece of equipment? Thanks again fellas!

Generac-
    http://www.amazon.com/Generac-5943-G...377330&sr=1-22

Westing House-
    http://www.amazon.com/Westinghouse-W...6377330&sr=1-6
    http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php...erac+generator

scroll down to post #6

Leave a comment:

Working...
X