Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

different liners for 0.023-0.045?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• different liners for 0.023-0.045?

Looking at buying .023 drive rolls and .045.

Manual for 252 states a new liner should be used.

Q-Is this really necessary?
    Q-can I use one liner for all sizes?

Current liner is for .035

Thanks

Well DUHHHH. Can't fit 045 wire into a 023 liner, and 023 will just knot up in a 045 liner

Comment

I run .035 solid & .045 flux & solid wire through an .045 liner without issues. I tried to run .023 wire through a 10' gun with an .035 liner & had trouble with it. I do have trouble on occasion with .035 flux core in an .045 liner in a 15' gun.

Comment

Cruizer;

What are the I.D. Of a .023 liner?
        I.D. Of a .045 liner?

My understanding is that the tolerances are quite loose and could work.

Anyways just looking to not buy 3 different liners if at all possible

Thanks for the replies

Comment

Originally posted by ericher69 View Post
          Cruizer;

What are the I.D. Of a .023 liner?
          I.D. Of a .045 liner?

My understanding is that the tolerances are quite loose and could work.

Anyways just looking to not buy 3 different liners if at all possible

Thanks for the replies
          a $15-20 liner is a cheap investment compared to the aggravation you are opening yourself up to by trying to get by...

Cruizer was on the money...

you do this for a while and you will end up with a collection of liners and guns ...
          here are some of mine

Name:  4e1cdb94b2194d3cdf1a223b634ff446.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  59.7 KB

Comment

I looked up the .023/.025 15 foot M-25 gun liner for the Millermatic 252. It's Miller Part Number 194-010. The list price appears to be $21.95 for a genuine Miller part and Aftermarket on eBay or Amazon is $6.95.

I've had people tell me that you can run .023 wire in a .030/035 liner, but it's probably best to use the correct one to avoid bird caging and other potential feeding problems.

When I got my MM 252, I also ordered the .023 drive rollers and tips. If I ever decide to run .023 wire, I guess I'll have to get the correct liner. For most of my work on my former Lincoln SP 175 Plus, I used .023 and I liked it. On the MM 252 so far, I've been using .030 and it's fine. I may try .023 sometime but there's no rush.

Comment

Ok

I will get the .023 rollers and liner and the .045 rollers and liner

Thanks

Comment

I use .023 stainless wire through a .035 wire liner without problems, my problem is in the rare occasions that the wire welds itself to the tip then the wire tends to pop from the rollers but that can be fixed by the tension so it slips rather then pops, but from my experience you only HAVE to change liners if you go up to .052 and bigger, I have ran .045 without a problem

Comment

Originally posted by S.A.W View Post
                  I use .023 stainless wire through a .035 wire liner without problems, my problem is in the rare occasions that the wire welds itself to the tip then the wire tends to pop from the rollers but that can be fixed by the tension so it slips rather then pops, but from my experience you only HAVE to change liners if you go up to .052 and bigger, I have ran .045 without a problem
                  all this wisdom was gained running how many hundreds or thousands of pounds of wire?? on how many different types of machine?? and how many brands and model of gun??

there is a big difference between what you can get away with in a pinch and what is a good idea and best practice...

but why struggle with "make do" when it is so easy just to do it right the first time??

It never ceases to amaze me...

Comment

Originally posted by H80N View Post
                    all this wisdom was gained running how many hundreds or thousands of pounds of wire?? on how many different types of machine?? and how many brands and model of gun??

there is a big difference between what you can get away with in a pinch and what is a good idea and best practice...

but why struggle with "make do" when it is so easy just to do it right the first time??

It never ceases to amaze me...
                    It never ceases to amaze me that one that is an a$$ on the site he thinks he can do no wrong has to drag his attitude over here and give other people crap

Comment

Originally posted by monte55 View Post
                      It never ceases to amaze me that one that is an a$$ on the site he thinks he can do no wrong has to drag his attitude over here and give other people crap
                      Monte

if you have a personal problem.. that is too bad..

But read the content of the post... there is a sound reason that they make different size and material liners for MIG guns...

sorry you take such violent exception to that.. you are both factually and emotionally incorrect..

I stand by my post

Comment

The post has nothing to do with it. There are nice ways to remark to a post and an a$$hole way of doing. You always seem to pick the latter. Why is that? You like to stir up crap for some reason. SFT has a different atmosphere than here and that's ok. You are the main reason I will not post there anymore. You took a post I had made on this forum and took it there to start crap. There are some good guys there........but all it takes is one of you for me to not want to belong.

Comment

Originally posted by monte55 View Post
                          The post has nothing to do with it. There are nice ways to remark to a post and an a$$hole way of doing. You always seem to pick the latter. Why is that? You like to stir up crap for some reason. SFT has a different atmosphere than here and that's ok. You are the main reason I will not post there anymore. You took a post I had made on this forum and took it there to start crap. There are some good guys there........but all it takes is one of you for me to not want to belong.
                          like I said ..sorry you have some sort of personal problem...

But...you are way off the mark...

Comment

Forum Policy - Thread Closed

This thread has been locked. Our policy on the forums is that all people and points of view are welcome, but we ask members to be respectful with their posts and not personally attack other members. Any further disrespectful action will result in being banned from the forum. We appreciate the positive and constructive interactions and welding knowledge our members provide and hope everyone continues to contribute in that way.

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.