Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Removal of AC capability

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removal of AC capability

I wish Miller and Lincoln designers would watch this video and rethink their decision to remove AC capability from their Eng. drive welders.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CW7I-ymfINU

I can count on the fingers of one hand, the number of times in the last 25 years, I wished I had AC welding capabilities on my engine drives. And have fingers left over.

Comment

I have used the ac on my TB exactly 3 times. All 3 times were on a batch of drill stem that was going in a fence. It was magnetized and played heck with the 6010 I was using.
      So long as the machine has good ac aux power then you can use another machine powered from it if needed. Still, if it was available, I would pay more to have it.

Comment

I never welded on AC until I got a Dynasty and experimented with it on thin tubing and plate (3/16" or less). Not sure why, but it's less likely to burn holes using 3/32 6011 than on DC- in my hands. Since the Bobcat, I've found additional uses in restricted access corners and magnetized fence pipe recalcitrant to the ground cable winding trick. As a matter of fact, I regularly use all three polarities depending on the material thickness and weld type, mostly farm & ranch applications.

I purchased a Bobcat because it had AC weld polarity.

Comment

AC capability

I agree with most people here, i really use the trailblazer 302 AC output doing portable TIG welding with the HF-251 D , and it works awesome. I have welded lots with the inverters , but for the variety of work i do i like this setup. and for heavier work a guy can go DC and use the spoolgun. Stick welding with the AC is a very handy card to have up ones sleeve , it my not be used all the time but it can save a guys azz once and a while. I guess if the unit i got every pooches out i'll have to buy an inverter and run it off the generator. i sure wish they retained the AC capabilities , but i suppose they build what the majority of people want and use.

Comment

69 years old instructional video, way better than most i have seen on youtube.

thank you for sharing.

Comment

Working...
            X
            Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.