Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Miller matic 252 wire feed issues.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miller matic 252 wire feed issues.

I have a 252 that is New. Maybe burned 3 rolls of wire on it. Was welding with it Saturday and it got to welding like I didn't have enough wire speed. Going to call Miller tomorrow because it's under warranty, like i said it's only a few months old. Any body have any idea what could be wrong?

Did you go through the basics? Blow out the gun liner, check your lead connections at machine, check ground connection, make sure the wire tension is right, clean contact tip, etc?

Comment

Gotta side with Elvis here, you need to go thru the troubleshoot process before you go through the hassle of warranty work, check your wire tension, make sure your rollers and tips match the size wire you are using, clear your liner and make sure your settings didn't change, change in voltage could cause your problem

Comment

Yes, I've done all the easy checks......
        Originally posted by S.A.W View Post
        Gotta side with Elvis here, you need to go thru the troubleshoot process before you go through the hassle of warranty work, check your wire tension, make sure your rollers and tips match the size wire you are using, clear your liner and make sure your settings didn't change, change in voltage could cause your problem

Comment

Well, did you call? What was the recommendation?

Comment

I had a brand new MM252 with similar issues. The 5/8" wire spool nut was too tight. Almost backed it clear off before it worked well...Bob

Comment

Sometimes the wire does not come off the spool even. It could be bird nested somewhat.
              Or it gets wedged between spool and the rest of the wire.
              It just comes off the spool hard.
              Good Luck,
              Bob

Comment

I also have a new Millermatic 252. I experienced some poor feeding and bird caging when I first got it set up. I checked the manual and discovered that the rollers were a bit out of alignment. The upper one was out too far. I corrected that and the problem went away.

If the Original Poster had not already used three rolls of wire, I would suggest that the problem might be roller alignment but with that amount of prior use without issues, it is probably something else.

One other issue that I had was corrected as well. The liner was too long on the inside and was nearly touching the rollers. I shortened it to 3/32" as shown for one of the guns in the book. I couldn't find the M-25 like I have but it showed to make it 3/32" for the ones shown. I don't think that would affect feeding unless it was touching the rollers when they are closed.

I run my 252 with straight CO2 and .030 Er70S-6 WeldCote wire and I'm just delighted with the welds that it makes. Although I had to bite my lip to spend that much money even with free shipping, I'm glad I did. I've found a new friend.

Edit: I see that the O.P. mentions that the machine is running slow. Does it speed up when the wire speed control is rotated? If not, there is something definitely wrong inside of the unit.

O.P. Please let us know what you discover on your feeding problem.
                Last edited by Synchroman; 07-25-2013, 07:17 PM.

Comment

"Sometimes the wire does not come off the spool even. It could be bird nested somewhat.
                  Or it gets wedged between spool and the rest of the wire.
                  It just comes off the spool hard."

This is a sign of a spool that has been shipped by UPS or similar means.The box gets dropped on its side and the layers of wire slide around causing it to tangle when on the machine.Sometimes it can be solved by unspooling some wire and sometimes the spool needs replaced.Wire shipped in pallet quantity is much less likely to suffer this fate.

Comment

Miller matic 252 wire feed issues.

Wire is sold as either wound or "precision wound" (or some other such descriptive phrase). I always order the precision version at little or no more cost.

I realize this may be hype but it occurs with reputable retailers and brands and I have had no problems using it.

Comment

Bad gas.

My gas was down to around 500 psi , Change the bottle problem solved.

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.