Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

New 200 DX - Now What Consumables To Buy

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New 200 DX - Now What Consumables To Buy

Dynasty 200 DX on the way to my house. drool...drool...pant...pant... :-)

I'll be doing mostly mild steel first then some SS and aluminum every now and then. No odd alloys. Max thickness 1/4 or less.

All scrap metal to start as it's practice practice practice to begin with. I'm not a shop.

So if you were in my shoes what would tungstens and filler wires you take home with a new rig? It comes with 2% Cerium tungsten-1/16, 3/32, 1/8.

Originally posted by stickermigtigger View Post
    Dynasty 200 DX on the way to my house. drool...drool...pant...pant... :-)

I'll be doing mostly mild steel first then some SS and aluminum every now and then. No odd alloys. Max thickness 1/4 or less.

All scrap metal to start as it's practice practice practice to begin with. I'm not a shop.

So if you were in my shoes what would tungstens and filler wires you take home with a new rig? It comes with 2% Cerium tungsten-1/16, 3/32, 1/8.
    Congrats... you will love it....

just get an assortment of 1 lb paks of 1/8 TIG rods to start.. then buy rod as you need it...

As far as tungsten goes... you might take some time and read the Diamond Ground Tungsten Guidebook...

http://www.diamondground.com/TungstenGuidebook2013.pdf

Educating yourself in tungsten selection and prep is self defence against LWS counterpeople that are either behind the times or lazy....
    selection for inverters is different than transformer TIGs

Usually I would be telling you to download the FREE Miller TIG Handbook....

but they have taken it down... Rumor is that it is being updated and revised and will again be available for download... I hope that is true...

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...9-TIG-Handbook
    Last edited by H80N; 07-22-2013, 05:16 PM.

Comment

Good advice, thanks. Luckily I downloaded the Tig book the same week they pulled it. :-)

Comment

Good advice, thanks. Luckily I downloaded the Tig book the same week they pulled it. :-)
        Glad you got a copy...

contrary to what we were told... have heard some rumors that it will be revised modernized and a PDF reposted.... Surely hope that is true..

NO idea on the timeframe though...
        Last edited by H80N; 07-23-2013, 08:57 PM.

Comment

H80N wrote --- just get an assortment of 1 lb paks of 1/8 TIG rods to start.. then buy rod as you need it...

You'll want more than just 1/8" tig rods. Some 1/16" & 3/32" for lighter stuff. ER70S & 308 ss
          Last edited by MMW; 07-23-2013, 07:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MMW View Post
            You'll want more than just 1/8" tig rods. Some 1/16" & 3/32" for lighter stuff.
            You are very right....

was a long day... brain out of gear...

I had meant 1/16 to start... but they are cheap enough.. to get a bunch of sizes..

Comment

After doing some of the recommended reading I decided to start off conservative and just take home a couple pounds each of ER70S6 in 1/16 and 3/32. I've got a good bit of mild steel to practice with. Will save SS and Al till I've developed some proficiency with mild steel first.

Comment

After doing some of the recommended reading I decided to start off conservative and just take home a couple pounds each of ER70S6 in 1/16 and 3/32. I've got a good bit of mild steel to practice with. Will save SS and Al till I've developed some proficiency with mild steel first.
                Wise approach...

When you do decide to broaden your selection you might consider getting a pound each of ER4043 & ER5356 they are good general purpose Aluminum fillers

AND

a pound of ER308L Stainless Steel filler rod

that should cover you for 95% of your everyday needs... then you can pick up more job specific and or exotic fillers as needed...

I cannot say enough good stuff about the Dynasty 200DX... it is just a superb machine....
                Last edited by H80N; 07-25-2013, 06:28 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X
                Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.