Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

i need steel round bar anyone?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i need steel round bar anyone?

i need steel round bar 1: od anyone got 2 feet? kinda in a bind im widening a rigid chopper frame for a 360 tire want to insert this inside the frame tubing email me sickchoppers@live.com

No steel suppliers in NJ? I have some in the shop, but shipping is always an issue. One of the online metal suppliers might be just the ticket.

Comment

Same deal here. I have some laying on the shelf from the steel yard 5-6 blocks away. You build chopper frames for a business and you haven't a supplier....WTF!?

Comment

I got some but you are about 700 miles from me,sorry.

Comment

1 inch is about right for a lot of car axles... a 2ft section should be next to nothing at a junk/scrap yard..... way overkill for what you are doing....but cheap and available..

how about cutoff drops from local fab/machine shops??.... has worked out pretty well for me over the years.... one hand washes the other...

think you are really looking for tube....

Comment

I have a never ending supply of 1" round solid bar. Weight sets. Always sitting on the curb laws for free or cheap at yard sales...Bob

Comment

Originally posted by WyoRoy View Post
              Same deal here. I have some laying on the shelf from the steel yard 5-6 blocks away. You build chopper frames for a business and you haven't a supplier....WTF!?
              You don't understand the chopper building business. (1) Choppers area thing of the past...their time has come and gone, so (2) No one stays in that business very long because (3) The clientele is rapidly diminishing toward ZERO and the ones that are still into the chopper thing have finally figured out that chopper really means RUINED MOTORCYCLE done by some fly-by-night joker that has turned a maybe decent handling ride into a scary E ticket ride (usually so illegal that a cop could write an encyclopedia of tickets on one) and shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a motorcycle frame with anything more dangerous or serious than a decal.

And, due to all that, most chopper "businesses" are the sort of business that other normal businesses won't have anything to do with, therefore NO SUPPLIER!!

Comment

Originally posted by dondlhmn View Post
                You don't understand the chopper building business. (1) Choppers area thing of the past...their time has come and gone, so (2) No one stays in that business very long because (3) The clientele is rapidly diminishing toward ZERO and the ones that are still into the chopper thing have finally figured out that chopper really means RUINED MOTORCYCLE done by some fly-by-night joker that has turned a maybe decent handling ride into a scary E ticket ride (usually so illegal that a cop could write an encyclopedia of tickets on one) and shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a motorcycle frame with anything more dangerous or serious than a decal.

And, due to all that, most chopper "businesses" are the sort of business that other normal businesses won't have anything to do with, therefore NO SUPPLIER!!
                Don, next time I need somebody to explain that water is wet I'll give you a poke. In the meantime, if you're feeling old and bitter, use somebody else to quote. Have a good day.

Comment

OUCH!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by JSFAB View Post
                    OUCH!!!!!

You can say that again....

and here I thought that thee 4th of July was a couple of weeks ago...

but we still get some fireworks...

I come from the Whatever Makes You Happy school...... everybody likes different projects... what tickles my fancy might repulse you or visa-versa...
                    If it makes you happy... I am happy for ya.... One of my likes is Morgan style reverse trikes... and I can care less what anybody else thinks of my jollies..
                    So who am I to denigrate somebody that loves choppers??

When I Like these...

Name:  1c4fd824e2f856683540a92c5c11e56d.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  152.9 KBName:  d5f7d339c9229e978b5faaf3579916c4.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  36.0 KB
                    Last edited by H80N; 07-19-2013, 10:20 PM.

Comment

Go to:

http://www.onlinemetals.com/index.cfm

They sell you a 2 foot length of 1" OD steel round bar. They'll also sell you other lengths and sizes and shapes if you desire.

Shipped to NJ by UPS. Total cost for a 2 foot section of Cold rolled mild steel 1" OD round bar is about $30.00 ($14.30 + $15 S/H). Take about 5 days to get to you. If you want to pay more for S/H you can get it much faster.

Go check it out

Comment

http://www.speedymetals.com has 1" OD DOM tubing in quite a few different wall thicknesses up to 1/4".

Comment

As a practical matter... you could go down to Lowes or your local hardware store and purchase a length of heavy wall black iron pipe... it should be plenty strong and durable... no to mention inexpensive and easily procured locally...

AND for the guy that is gonna pipe up with something about "Iron"..... relax... it is made of steel.... and as a historical note.... many early motorcycle frames were built from "Gas Pipe"..... which is the same stuff...

Comment

Mcmaster Carr. Look them up on the web. They sell almost everything including metals. You'll pay top dollar plus shipping but have it the next day. I use them all the time when in a bind. They sell short lengths so it's good if you need something odd & don't want to buy a full length.

Metal Depot also on the web.

Even Lowes, Home Depot or local hardware, plumbing supply. Sometimes it's plated, galvanized but if your in a jam you make it work.

Look up steel suppliers, fab shops in your area.

If you have to ask where to get 1" round bar....

I did your job for you. http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-steel-rods/=nqtpxm
                            Last edited by MMW; 07-23-2013, 05:12 AM.

Comment

Not much of a fabricator if you don't know where to get the materials you need to do a project. I don't think I would want to ride one of your creations, or even ride near it on the road.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.