Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoking Isue Pipe pro 304

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smoking Isue Pipe pro 304

I have a 2001 Pipe Pro that has been a good machine, It has a 26 HP Kabota diesel.
    The problem is that it has smoked as long as I can remember, Expecially when it reves up to 3600 Rpm.

I had a really good mechanic stop in that I had to do some welding for and told him about my problem so he started up my machine while it was cold and it fired up right away so he said
    ( Well you got good compression due to how quick it fired )

About a year ago I adjusted the valves thinking that might be the problem but they all were within spec.

The mechanic said I have nothing to worry about ( It does'nt stumble at all when reving from low idle to high idle. )

He said that its just dumping a little extra fuel which is better than starving it for fuel.

So my question is: Does this sound right.

Keep in mind that I just changed the oil filter, fuel filter and air filter and I run on road diesel from many different stations which has never made a difference.

So the only thing I can think of would to have a pro adjust the fuel pressure or would you guys do what that mechanic said to do which is to leave it alone.

Issue, I could'nt correct my spelling so I guess I wear the dunce cap today, Issue, Issue, Issue.
    Last edited by Portable Welder; 07-17-2013, 04:42 PM.

Ummm, if your not venting oil like crazy, you really have no problems with your machine. However, IT NEEDS LUBRICATION FOR THE INJECTORS! so a couple oz of Standynes or Howes Meaner will do the trick.

Comment

leaking injector...or pump shimmed wrong

That kubota should have next to no smoke at full throttle. If it smoked while being loaded that is normal, but it should not be excessive. Do a crack test on the injectors. Ie crack the lines at the injector and see if the smoke goes away or gets less, basically you are checking for a leaking or overfueling injector. If it makes no difference then the injection pump should be checked for timing. On that block style pump timing is controlled by the shim underneath the pump. Also do a compression test, i have seen kubota start very easily and the motor was wiped.

Comment

Please keep in mind, Its not mega smoke and is most notable when it goes from low to high.

Comment

Cetane boost/ fuel lubricant to replace the missing lub that the sulphur had will make your problems disappear,,,, just do it, thennnn report back geez.

Comment

how much smoke

How much smoke is it! If it puffs smokes when in goes from no load to load it should, no amount of cetane booster is going to remove this. When someone says smokes as a diesel mechanic i think excessive smoke. If its smoking ie black/white/grey smoke when running at 1/2 load theres a probelm, kubota run very clean. Because or the design of a block style injection pump, it is difficult to elimate smoking when they are being drawn down, also all to often little diesels are worked harder then there rated hp allows.
            Kevin

Comment

how much smoke

How much smoke is it! If it puffs smokes when in goes from no load to load it should, no amount of cetane booster is going to remove this. When someone says smokes as a diesel mechanic i think excessive smoke. If its smoking ie black/white/grey smoke when running at 1/2 load theres a probelm, kubota run very clean. Because or the design of a block style injection pump, it is difficult to elimate smoking when they are being drawn down, also all to often little diesels are worked harder then there rated hp allows.
              Kevin

Comment

It smokes about the same whether under load and no load, Not really any difference that I have found.

Comment

Cruizer, I have tried Cetain boosters over the years and still exactly the same.

Comment

Well, then load it up, via a load bank.

Comment

The only reason for a diesel to have excessive smoke is either too much fuel or not enough air. I know it sounds stupid, but have you checked your air filter system to see if it's become plugged? I'm assuming you're talking about black smoke and not white/gray (coolant) or blue (crankcase oil.)

If all the other systems are functioning properly, then the injector system is delivering too much fuel and you'll have to have it corrected if the smoke bothers you.

Comment

Nope, Like I said in a earlier post, I just replaced all the filters, I also was thinking that it just burns a little rich ( Too much fuel )

Cruizer, I'm not sure what hooking it up on a load bank will do other than let me know if I have a power loss.
                        I run it wide open on the mig side all the time along with air arcing usually at about 350 amps without a bog or hesitation.

I guess my question is What harm will it do if it burns a little on the rich side.

Comment

Crack test injectors.

Originally posted by Portable Welder View Post
                          Nope, Like I said in a earlier post, I just replaced all the filters, I also was thinking that it just burns a little rich ( Too much fuel )

Cruizer, I'm not sure what hooking it up on a load bank will do other than let me know if I have a power loss.
                          I run it wide open on the mig side all the time along with air arcing usually at about 350 amps without a bog or hesitation.

I guess my question is What harm will it do if it burns a little on the rich side.
                          After reading all the replies I can see that no one here has a clue how a diesel engine works. First it is highly unlikely that the little block style pump is overfueling. Here why, first there is no way someone can tamper, or play with that pump. The fuel delivery valve is built into the plungers of the pump, the pump must be removed and disassembled and set. Also a diesel will smoke a lot if it is slightly out of time, again timing on that engine is set with a shim under the pump. If the engine has always smoked a little from day one that is likely the problem, If your truly want to fix this I can give you the procedure to check this.
                          If the engine started smoking and got progressively worse I would be check the injectors, thus the crack test. Simply run the engine at full throttle and crack the infectors at the fuel delivery lines and see if you can isolate the cylinder which is smoking the most, could be as simple as a weak injector or an injector which has poor spray patterns. This is also a very simple and easy balance test on the engine. If you find the injector which is thought to be bad, switch it to another cylinder if that cylinder smokes, replace it. Depending on the hours the injectors are fairly cheap for that engine, should be able to get them rebuilt for 80-90 bucks.
                          Kevin

Comment

Thanks Tryagn5, It has smoked as long as I can remember and has not gotten better or worse with time,

When at idle 1800 rpm theres not really any smoke untill it goes to high rpm wheather its at max load or just running a grinder, so based on what you have said I'm thinking its timing.

Thanks for explaining everything.

Comment

Smoking issue - "Wetstacking"

I have the same issue you have described. I have the Big Blue Air Pak with the Deutz oil cooled engine. It was load banked before I took possession and performed without these issues. Recently it began to wetstack. The service rep for Miller locally and their factory engineers confirm it needs to be load banked again, takes 3-4 hours. This is not unusual for diesel engines operating welding machines.

Tommy

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.