No announcement yet.

Need a welding niche

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

JtMc, I pretty much agree, I hate to even let the bad ones go so I just add A$$ Hole tax to their projects to cover for my pain and suffering.

I look at it this way ( When they walk out of my shop and their money is in my pocket, I'm a winner. )

There are the shops that wont take off the road work in, Butt there are alot more that will.

Comment

The biggest mistake I see made is believing that price will get you in the door and quality will keep you there after you raise your price.

Two issues there. First, clients that shop only price suck, always have, always will. Second you are making price your reputation and it will make the good clients think something is wrong with you for being cheap.

Everyone hates to change suppliers. That is not only true of you but it is true of your clients. You basically have to drive people away. So all you have to do is what you say you will in a timely manner and they will stick with you through thick and thin.

The biggest thing people are looking for is dependability. Provide that and you will survive, thrive even.
      life is good

Comment

"The biggest thing people are looking for is dependability. Provide that and you will survive, thrive even" Likes.....

Well maybe I'll just keep doing what I'm doing. Helping those who do call and hope they see the real person in me.

Guess I'm getting a little anxious thinking things suppose to move faster than they are.
        I researched the stainless deal and there is a lot more money involved in getting setup with the correct tools than I thought. So I am back to working on skills with what I have.

I have pipe. That goes a long way. I get a little better every time I grind bevels and that will be this weeks primary focus. It makes you get better at several things.

Thanks for all the discussion about a niche. I've learned a few things here, Thanks

Comment

Diversify. That's what I do & always have done. Not just in the welding world either. Although welding is my main focus I can wrench, I manage my investments & have a 2 family rental. When welding is slow I take care of the other stuff. When welding is busy The other stuff sits. I try to always look at the big picture, who cares if I don't make money in one month but the other 11 are great.

Now I'm getting into business practices so back to the original question.

You mentioned artsy stuff at one time so do that in your spare time when you have nothing else going on. This is practice you can sell.

Shopping cart repair?

Body work should go to body/resto shops not welding shops.

Retail stores fixing garment racks & carts? Sometimes these are chrome plated so carry some chrome spray paint but tell them ahead of time it won't be a perfect match.

Look at what's around in your area & just imagine what might break & need welded.

All of the above are usually good part time work but not sure about full time employ. However enough little can make big.

I can be having a really crap week & then I'll get a nice job towards the end that makes it a good week. Be prepared to go to work when the phone rings if you are slow.
          MM250
          Trailblazer 250g
          22a feeder
          Lincoln ac/dc 225
          Victor O/A
          MM200 black face
          Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
          Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
          Arco roto-phase model M
          Vectrax 7x12 band saw
          Miller spectrum 875
          30a spoolgun w/wc-24
          Syncrowave 250
          RCCS-14

Comment

Racks and carts, who would have thought of it, well it never crossed my mind.

Put those on the list.
            Thanks

Comment

Two more.

Fitness centers, gym equipment

Doctors offices, physical therapy places.

The above uses equipment & racks. Most likely they will want to see insurance up front.

The retail racks & carts is most likely low dollar work as they probably aren't expensive to start with unless it is a high end store. But some money is better than no money.
              Last edited by MMW; 07-23-2013, 07:36 AM.
              MM250
              Trailblazer 250g
              22a feeder
              Lincoln ac/dc 225
              Victor O/A
              MM200 black face
              Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
              Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
              Arco roto-phase model M
              Vectrax 7x12 band saw
              Miller spectrum 875
              30a spoolgun w/wc-24