Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need a welding niche

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a welding niche

I have tried to cover everything that might come my way but some focus in a certain area just might have its benefits.

My goal was to be the small / mobile shop that would take the little jobs, big shops don't want to deal with. I have had a few folks say they are glad I'm doing it and bring things from time to time. But it is not enough.

I feel like I am missing something, some niche I'd be good at or get good at and it just hasn't come to mind yet.

Any Ideas?

Originally posted by Hardrock40 View Post
    I have tried to cover everything that might come my way but some focus in a certain area just might have its benefits.

My goal was to be the small / mobile shop that would take the little jobs, big shops don't want to deal with. I have had a few folks say they are glad I'm doing it and bring things from time to time. But it is not enough.

I feel like I am missing something, some niche I'd be good at or get good at and it just hasn't come to mind yet.

Any Ideas?
    Let your heart rule and your purse will follow...

The process that you enjoy the most is the one you are likely to become the most skillful and successful at... as you hone your skills your reputation will grow..

For instance I enjoy the TIG process the most... and that is where I concentrate

Some of this will be colored by where you live and what is available to you..

Comment

Yea, Tig is my favorite process also.

A few years ago I had cards made up with that in mind. I got slack on beating bushes and handing them out but with the 200DX I was able to get some thin jobs where people said it couldn't be done.

My inland area offers a little of everything but not a lot of anything.

Maybe I should look more towards aluminum. The big shops around here will only accept gold bricks for aluminum work no matter how small the job.

Comment

Are you in the country or an urban area??

Portable TIG... ln an urban area... if you are willing to work between 3:00 and 9:00am... there are lots of restaurants that need sanitary stainless repaired or modified..while they are closed.. or aluminum pots and pizza paddles that need repaired....
        the possibles are limitless and you will not be in competition with azillion stick guys out there...

or how about Micro-TIG repairing dies and molds??

Comment

Originally posted by H80N View Post

Portable TIG... ln an urban area... if you are willing to work between 3:00 and 9:00am... there are lots of restaurants that need sanitary stainless repaired or modified..while they are closed.. or aluminum pots and pizza paddles that need repaired....
          the possibles are limitless and you will not be in competition with azillion stick guys out there...

I'd say small urban but the fast food places are lined up. I could actually work those hours as I am on second shift and do have portable Tig. I like the idea. Maybe I'll talk to a few and see where it goes.

Micro Tig sounds good also. But I'll have to research it.

Thanks for the reply's, I thought there would be more but I guess some are keeping their secrets.

Comment

I'd say small urban but the fast food places are lined up. I could actually work those hours as I am on second shift and do have portable Tig. I like the idea. Maybe I'll talk to a few and see where it goes.

Micro Tig sounds good also. But I'll have to research it.

Thanks for the reply's, I thought there would be more but I guess some are keeping their secrets.

Comment

Around here I constantly get calls for weld repairs on car rims and on cars. Neither I will do.

Comment

If you provide better service,better quality with fair pricing you may find you offer something the other guy does not.
                Professional appearance(personal and equipment),timely arrival and quality work may give you the niche you are looking for.

Comment

Originally posted by fabricator View Post
                  Around here I constantly get calls for weld repairs on car rims and on cars. Neither I will do.
                  I thought about body work a few years back and picked up a an old fender at a local body shop.

Thinking that would be so easy with the 200DX. Still it warped no matter what I did so I scrapped it and moved on. Nobody has ever asked me to do one anyway.

I never have been asked to do a rim, also probably wouldn't do it.

Comment

a lot depends on where you live and the demographics...
                    Plus your level of commitment and hard work..

for instance Fusion King lives in an area with a lot of lakes and boating...

and at least at one time a substantial amount of his mobile work was done with a Dynasty 200DX in the back of a Chevy Astrovan.... and it sounds like he has done well... keep in mind that he is a VERY skilled aluminum welder and it took him years of hard work...

maybe he will comment..

Comment

I thought about body work a few years back and picked up a an old fender at a local body shop.

Thinking that would be so easy with the 200DX. Still it warped no matter what I did so I scrapped it and moved on. Nobody has ever asked me to do one anyway.
                      This indicates that you need to do some "Skillbuilding".....
                      Thin sheetmetal is an area where the Dynasty 200DX EXCELS .....
                      this does not come overnight... it takes lots of practice and hard work..
                      Last edited by H80N; 07-18-2013, 09:30 AM.

Comment

This indicates that you need to do some "Skillbuilding".....
                        Thin sheetmetal is an area where the Dynasty 200DX EXCELS .....
                        this does not come overnight... it takes lots of practice and hard work..
                        Exactly, I just got back from the scrap yard with a nice piece of stainless sheet. Its so nice I don't want to destroy it.

But, I have to. So I'll cut it up. I'm thinking the butt joints will be most important. I know I can do these welds but not at a professional level. I'd like to just run a cutoff wheel in it but that may not be the best way to practice or is it?

That would give you a gap where a crack doesn't unless you grind it. A great fit buckles when it has no room to shrink too and filling a crack pulls from everywhere else. This is where I need more understanding.

How much heat and time on it will work without the warp? If you have a counter top with a crack, hows that not going to warp? Weld expands then shrinks. You can't just beat on it, you'll make low places on each side.

Afterwards, grinding and polishing is where I want some know how also.

Aluminum is pretty easy to finish and make shine, except for the swirl streaks. I just never needed to take it further.

Getting the right wheels for the grinder I'm thinking will be key.

I'll take all the advice I can get and I'll research it more here and online before I start. I'm not sure about backside purge on a butt joint. I would think there are more times when you can't get to it to do so than not.

Thanks for the appearance and customer care tip, I am a true believer in that.
                        A comment on my last job, I loaded the trailer with 3 machines, extra bottles, tools hoods and things I knew I would not need. Made it look organized and serious. He was impressed.

I took a shower, put on clean cloths also just for that visit. Took me a couple hours getting prepared just to meet this guy.

In the end he doubled my bill. Yea I didn't charge what I should have but I made a good impression that I hope will pay off. Got to start somewhere.

Comment

Any Ideas?

My opinion only so take it or don't, based on observing living in the paying welding world over the years.

If you really believe there is a spot where a person can make a living because the work is too small for the local real business', I've never seen such a thing.

We work almost always on site, but every welding shop I've seen in 30 years has a cat who just handles walk in work.
                          There a lot of very wealthy shop owners who've made their living off small jobs. Over and over small = large.

I see this a lot on the interwebs, never seen it in person.

What I HAVE seen, many times, is where local business' won't deal with a problem customer. Anybody can pick up those accounts, but if they were worth it everbody would be going for them.

Bottom line (specially in this economy where welding business' are dropping like flies and have been since '08) there are no jobs out there, that provide any reasonable profit, that existing business' are not going after.

People will post examples trying to refute that statement. Ask them how many years they've been in business and what they net per year.
                          And ask them what their real 40 hr/wk job is : )
                          Lot's of phoney "welding Co's" on forums.

J

Comment

Sounds pretty realistic JTM. I am real bad putting at my ideas out there where it doesn't confuse and then I find myself contradicting a lot of things.

I couldn't make a living doing small jobs and I have been in shops where a guy hangs out there all day just taking care of such things also.

I have a regular job and limited time. I'm just easing in right now but need a little more than I am finding. Well I been easing in for a few years. LOL

This thread was to get some ideas on something to focus on, get good at and have a specialty. It may not be a good idea but I have to keep moving forward and talking to you guys about it helps see it for what it is.

I'd like to be able to quit my job and jump in with both feet but I wouldn't last no time.

Comment

Its true small jobs that shops wont do are problem customers. Not because they dont pay well. All my work is people who want to wait for quality I take longer but we spend the time

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.