Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

which electrode for welding titanium?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • which electrode for welding titanium?

    bout to begin first titanium welds, ordered filler rod at 63.oo a lb. wats best electrode fir job ?

  • #2
    From previous post. I've read your unsure of your base metal why would you go out and spent money yet. Have you done any test.. titanium isn't magnetic.
    If grind on it puts out bright white sparks.
    Unlike mild steel which are yellowish.
    .
    Miller Bobcat 225NT onan
    Millermatic 211
    Spoolmate 100
    (Retapped to fit regular mig tips)
    Work better & less parts to stock.
    Miller 130xp
    T/A Dragster 85 (portability 11 pounds)
    Oxygen/Acetylene torch set 50'
    2. 4-1/2" grinders
    1. 9" grinder
    14" Makita chop saw
    1/2" Aircat impact gun 900#

    Comment


    • #3
      i appreciate ur input, its out of necessity. nor for fun

      Comment


      • #4
        Well then, Fur those welds I use 1/4" since it for ( Necessity )

        Comment


        • #5
          Best Practices Titanium TIG

          Originally posted by thatsallid0 View Post
          bout to begin first titanium welds, ordered filler rod at 63.oo a lb. wats best electrode fir job ?
          Since you are diving into the pool headlong without any previous Titanium TIG experience... maybe you will find these articles helpful in giving you some of the basics...

          Titanium 101: Best TIG (GTA) Welding Practices

          http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...anium-welding/

          and

          http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...ium-tube-pipe/


          Maybe shine a little light on the subject..
          Last edited by H80N; 07-10-2013, 12:10 PM.
          .

          *******************************************
          The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

          “The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

          Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

          My Blue Stuff:
          Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
          Dynasty 200DX
          Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
          Millermatic 200

          TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

          Comment


          • #6
            I use 2% lanthanated, but any electrode suitable for DCEN is fine.


            Filled by Zanconato Custom Cycles, on Flickr
            Mike Zanconato
            Zanconato Custom Cycles
            @mzank on Instagram
            Dynasty 280DX
            Meco Midget

            Comment


            • #7
              thanx to all

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by zank View Post
                I use 2% lanthanated, but any electrode suitable for DCEN is fine.


                Filled by Zanconato Custom Cycles, on Flickr
                thats a nice consistent bead width.... how does titanium filler flow ? like steel or like aluminum ?
                Syncrowave® 200
                Lincoln AC/DC 225/125
                Lincoln Weld Pak 100 wire feed

                Comment


                • #9
                  Flows very nice. And the puddle is bright and shiny. It's a lot like welding stainless. The one thing I find challenging if I'm not 100% focused is that the tip of the filler rod can get stuck on the base metal on the leading edge of the puddle or if it touches anywhere else on the base metal. I try to be very deliberate with my dabs and I try to feed closer to the center of the puddle. The tip of the filler seems to stay molten and will freeze off on whatever it touches that isn't molten.

                  I also pay very close attention to torch angle and shielding as I am coming up to an outside corner or moving around a tube. The weldment shape can block the shielding ahead of the puddle if you don't anticipate it. It's pretty agonizing when things all of a sudden go blue and purple around a corner because of torch angle.
                  Mike Zanconato
                  Zanconato Custom Cycles
                  @mzank on Instagram
                  Dynasty 280DX
                  Meco Midget

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by zank View Post
                    Flows very nice. And the puddle is bright and shiny. It's a lot like welding stainless. The one thing I find challenging if I'm not 100% focused is that the tip of the filler rod can get stuck on the base metal on the leading edge of the puddle or if it touches anywhere else on the base metal. I try to be very deliberate with my dabs and I try to feed closer to the center of the puddle. The tip of the filler seems to stay molten and will freeze off on whatever it touches that isn't molten.

                    I also pay very close attention to torch angle and shielding as I am coming up to an outside corner or moving around a tube. The weldment shape can block the shielding ahead of the puddle if you don't anticipate it. It's pretty agonizing when things all of a sudden go blue and purple around a corner because of torch angle.

                    thanks so much for your input
                    Syncrowave® 200
                    Lincoln AC/DC 225/125
                    Lincoln Weld Pak 100 wire feed

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      which electrode for welding titanium?

                      Lets us know how it works out. Pics are always nice aswell

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        appreciated all

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X