Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

which electrode for welding titanium?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• which electrode for welding titanium?

bout to begin first titanium welds, ordered filler rod at 63.oo a lb. wats best electrode fir job ?

From previous post. I've read your unsure of your base metal why would you go out and spent money yet. Have you done any test.. titanium isn't magnetic.
    If grind on it puts out bright white sparks.
    Unlike mild steel which are yellowish.

Comment

i appreciate ur input, its out of necessity. nor for fun

Comment

Well then, Fur those welds I use 1/4" since it for ( Necessity )

Comment

Best Practices Titanium TIG

Originally posted by thatsallid0 View Post
          bout to begin first titanium welds, ordered filler rod at 63.oo a lb. wats best electrode fir job ?
          Since you are diving into the pool headlong without any previous Titanium TIG experience... maybe you will find these articles helpful in giving you some of the basics...

Titanium 101: Best TIG (GTA) Welding Practices

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...anium-welding/

and

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...ium-tube-pipe/

Maybe shine a little light on the subject..
          Last edited by H80N; 07-10-2013, 12:10 PM.

Comment

I use 2% lanthanated, but any electrode suitable for DCEN is fine.

Filled by Zanconato Custom Cycles, on Flickr

Comment

thanx to all

Comment

Originally posted by zank View Post
                I use 2% lanthanated, but any electrode suitable for DCEN is fine.

Filled by Zanconato Custom Cycles, on Flickr
                thats a nice consistent bead width.... how does titanium filler flow ? like steel or like aluminum ?

Comment

Flows very nice. And the puddle is bright and shiny. It's a lot like welding stainless. The one thing I find challenging if I'm not 100% focused is that the tip of the filler rod can get stuck on the base metal on the leading edge of the puddle or if it touches anywhere else on the base metal. I try to be very deliberate with my dabs and I try to feed closer to the center of the puddle. The tip of the filler seems to stay molten and will freeze off on whatever it touches that isn't molten.

I also pay very close attention to torch angle and shielding as I am coming up to an outside corner or moving around a tube. The weldment shape can block the shielding ahead of the puddle if you don't anticipate it. It's pretty agonizing when things all of a sudden go blue and purple around a corner because of torch angle.

Comment

Originally posted by zank View Post
                    Flows very nice. And the puddle is bright and shiny. It's a lot like welding stainless. The one thing I find challenging if I'm not 100% focused is that the tip of the filler rod can get stuck on the base metal on the leading edge of the puddle or if it touches anywhere else on the base metal. I try to be very deliberate with my dabs and I try to feed closer to the center of the puddle. The tip of the filler seems to stay molten and will freeze off on whatever it touches that isn't molten.

I also pay very close attention to torch angle and shielding as I am coming up to an outside corner or moving around a tube. The weldment shape can block the shielding ahead of the puddle if you don't anticipate it. It's pretty agonizing when things all of a sudden go blue and purple around a corner because of torch angle.

thanks so much for your input

Comment

which electrode for welding titanium?

Lets us know how it works out. Pics are always nice aswell

Comment

appreciated all

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.