Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Orientation of Tungsten Using Grinding Wheel

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Orientation of Tungsten Using Grinding Wheel

Hi,

This is the same information that I wrote in a previous thread; but, it may have been too deep in the thread. So, I hope it's okay to post again.

I haven't had much time to get setup to dive into TIG.

I recently purchased two new wheels for a spare bench grinder that I have in the garage that will only be used for tungsten grinding. (One is 80 grit, the other 120.)

I hope the answer to this question isn't too obvious....

I understand the need to basically grind along the axis of the tungsten. I just can't visualize the best way to do this with the guard assembly on the bench grinder.

It's my understanding that I should use the side of the wheel. Is this correct? How about the orientation.... toward the direction of travel, or away from it?

For others who use a bench top grinder, do you leave the guards in place?

Maybe it's something that will become clear once I attempt a couple. Sometimes a little advice goes a long way.

Thanks

Jeff

Use the face of a dedicated wheel, with the tip of the tungsten facing the wheel just like you would sharpen a chisel. Harbor Freight makes an inexpensive 3" grinder that is perfect for tungsten.

Comment

Orientation of Tungsten Using Grinding Wheel

What works the best that I've seen is a belt sander that is turning away from you. And always keep moving the tungsten side to side so you don't wear grooves in the belt / grinding wheel. Also never grind on the side of a bench grinder wheel. It's a good way to wear the sides and eventually the face will fly apart. As for the bench grinder gaurd you can lower it and tilt it so you can get a good angle with the tungsten. And uh use a drill makes nice uniform sides and clamps the tungsten well and keeps your fingers away. Good luck

Comment

Chucking up your tungsten in a cordless drill & grinding length ways in the center of the wheel is the old tried & true redneck method.

Comment

Working...
        X
        Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.