Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Opinions Appreciated

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions Appreciated

Below is a link to a lathe that I found. Any information concerning capabilities,condition and price would be greatly appreciated. This would be my first lathe and a huge learning process. I do understand that the tooling is usually a much graeter cost that the lathe itself.

http://littlerock.craigslist.org/tls/3918612357.html

Thanks for any advice,
    Nick

I hope you are on your way to get it. You should be posting "What do you think of my new lathe". Looks like a screaming deal to me.

Comment

Originally posted by walker View Post
      i hope you are on your way to get it. You should be posting "what do you think of my new lathe". Looks like a screaming deal to me.
      +1..!!!! Grab it!!!!!...

Comment

Not much center-to-center distance on that old gal, but well worth what is being charged. Probably would handle 75% of what you would be wanting a lathe for and as long as you were considering it as a first lathe it should be well worth it and have your cash outlay easily recovered down the line. Belt drive will keep you from dodging shrapnel on a crash...

Comment

Originally posted by WyoRoy View Post
          Not much center-to-center distance on that old gal, but well worth what is being charged. Probably would handle 75% of what you would be wanting a lathe for and as long as you were considering it as a first lathe it should be well worth it and have your cash outlay easily recovered down the line. Belt drive will keep you from dodging shrapnel on a crash...
          Did anyone see a compound in the photo because I did not? If there is not one with the lathe are they costly and readily available?
          Thanks,
          Nick

Comment

I think you can see it in the 6th picture down or so. The tool holder that is in it is the lantern style, but is sitting right on the dovetail. It should have a semi spherical washer and wedge set up to adjust the tool holder, or better yet, just pick up a QC tool post

Comment

Originally posted by kiwi View Post
              Did anyone see a compound in the photo because I did not? If there is not one with the lathe are they costly and readily available?
              Thanks,
              Nick
              I don't see a compound rest there. Best to ask the seller if it is a concern. They are nice but there is lots of machining you can do without it. From looking at the pictures I would say that you would have to change the cross slide to incorporate a compound rest otherwise the tooling may be too high to work properly. A compound rest gives you the angles but they are often less robust than the heavy-duty cross slide I see here. That means they may flex under heavy service when the straight cross slide may not. You could always get a milling attachment and build them(shorter cross slide and compound). Might be a fun learning experience and it still looks like a deal to me.---Meltedmetal

Comment

Just a quick update on the lathe. I wanted to thank everyone for their input. On Monday evening I took a look at it and got cold feet. The lathe was in pieces and under his house in a makeshift shop. I asked him how he got it in there and he said he placed it on a piece of plywood made a hole in it and drug it with a come along. The more I looked at it and the more I considered the information you gave me (lack of compound) I decided against it.

Comment

Where ya' located Kiwi?

Comment

Hey Roy,
                    I am located in Arkansas.
                    Nick

Comment

Nick,
                      Arkansas sounds only slightly better than Wyoming for used lathes. 'Bout time to take a summer vacation to get away from the heat...maybe a trip up to the Great Lakes or East Coast and watch Craigslist ads along the way?

Comment

That type of LeBlond lathe didn't come with a compound. It is a rapid production type which was made for mass machining of parts that were all the same like brake drums for example. I looked at a newer version a few years ago but passed for the lack of a compound. My buddy here in NE Ohio has 3 South Bend heavy 10's if anyone is interested...Bob

Comment

Originally posted by WyoRoy View Post
                          Nick,
                          Arkansas sounds only slightly better than Wyoming for used lathes. 'Bout time to take a summer vacation to get away from the heat...maybe a trip up to the Great Lakes or East Coast and watch Craigslist ads along the way?
                          Roy,
                          I could not agree more. It is very hard to find nice used equipment in my state. I guess because it is an agricultural state and not a state that was centered around manufacturing.
                          Nick

Comment

Originally posted by aametalmaster View Post
                            That type of LeBlond lathe didn't come with a compound. It is a rapid production type which was made for mass machining of parts that were all the same like brake drums for example. I looked at a newer version a few years ago but passed for the lack of a compound. My buddy here in NE Ohio has 3 South Bend heavy 10's if anyone is interested...Bob
                            Bob,
                            Thanks for the information, I am now glad that I backed out. I will PM you about the SB lathes.
                            Nick

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.