Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

reverse polarity

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• reverse polarity

I weld hi freq reverse polarity on aluminum everyday I do a lot of mig on cars and such my new mig machine has reverse polarity what is the purpose of reverse polarity when using a mig on steel?

The reverse polarity is for when you are running flux core wire instead of regular solid wire.

Comment

Ok ive always mig welded on cars and such always solid wire so I didnt know thank you

Comment

Well Reverse polarity is electrode positive, flux core runs in straight polarity, as does most tig work

Comment

Innershield (Gasless) flux core is straight polarity (DC-)

Outershield (Gas shielded) flux core is reverse polarity (DC+)

Originally posted by WyoRoy View Post
          The reverse polarity is for when you are running flux core wire instead of regular solid wire.
          Not quite sure where you got that information, but solid wire is also run on reverse polarity.

The reason the new mig machine has reverse polarity is probably because it has a gas hook-up on it and you can run a solid wire whereas the older model did not, hence the straight polarity used to run gasless flux core.
          Last edited by jpence38; 07-06-2013, 07:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by wheelman918 View Post
            my new mig machine has reverse polarity
            `Just curious, do you mean it is set up with reverse polarity or it has a polarity switch? What model of mig machine are you talking about?--Meltedmetal

Comment

Originally posted by Meltedmetal View Post
              `Just curious, do you mean it is set up with reverse polarity or it has a polarity switch? What model of mig machine are you talking about?--Meltedmetal
              Just a guess, but it may have two terminal posts that can be switched on the inside where the wire spool goes. That is the way my small machines are set up.

Comment

Originally posted by jpence38 View Post
                Just a guess, but it may have two terminal posts that can be switched on the inside where the wire spool goes. That is the way my small machines are set up.
                Thanks Jim. I am aware of this and I guess a polarity switch is something that the "product engineer" saw fit to dispense with to save a few dollars on the cost of manufacture. Keeps the price point lower I suppose. I don't have one(small mig) but if I did, I think I might be tempted to put a polarity switch on it just cause I do a wide variety of things in a wide variety of places and usually in a rush. Anyway looks like he's gone fishin' and I've got to go do some pointing. (Not the finger kind, the stone foundation kind). Have a good weekend all.---Meltedmetal

Comment

Can someone point me in the right direction. I own a 211 and would like to add a polarity switch to the front panel
                  since I'm frequently switching. Thanks

Comment

WHY would you be continously switching from gas to gasless wire???

Comment

I use this machine for my flux core wire
                      and. When an aluminum job. Shows up I use the same machine. This happens maybe twice a week. Multiple times a day.
                      I know I need to buy a second machine I just haven't. Made my decision on which one. I wanted a passport plus. But Miller goes and pulls it of the shelf. And I can't get a shop size machine. Because I'm mobile. On sites

Comment

I weld hi freq reverse polarity on aluminum everyday I do a lot of mig on cars and such my new mig machine has reverse polarity what is the purpose of reverse polarity when using a mig on steel?
                        Reverse polarity (EP) TIG? Kinda tough on tungsten isn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by duaneb55 View Post
                          Reverse polarity (EP) TIG? Kinda tough on tungsten isn't it?
                          Good catch. I can't believe I missed that. Something isn't right in Millerville.

Comment

Originally posted by eecervantes83 View Post
                            I use this machine for my flux core wire
                            and. When an aluminum job. Shows up I use the same machine. This happens maybe twice a week. Multiple times a day.
                            I know I need to buy a second machine I just haven't. Made my decision on which one. I wanted a passport plus. But Miller goes and pulls it of the shelf. And I can't get a shop size machine. Because I'm mobile. On sites
                            Have you tried switching to a gas-shielded flux core wire???

Comment

High frequency tig welding on aluminum is generally done with AC weld current, not dc + (reverse) polarity.
                              Someone is a bit confused here.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.