Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can heat treating stop rust

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can heat treating stop rust

I am making a trailer coupler lock guard to prevent bolt cutters from getting at the lock.

I don't want to paint it because it will just get scratched off.

Is there a good heat treating method that will keep it from rusting?

It will be made from regular carbon steel.

Galvanize, powder coat, paint it & repaint as needed or make it from stainless.

Comment

Originally posted by Hardrock40 View Post
      ... Is there a good heat treating method that will keep it from rusting? ...
      No.

Comment

Originally posted by USMCPOP View Post
        No.

That's kinda funny but true nontheless. Do your research on heat treating, specially mild steel and you'll be a lot smarter cat. Hopefully.

Roll on bed liner is about as good a cheap, anti scratch coating as you'll find. Follow all directions, do the right prep, and it'll last pretty well thru abuse and abrasion. You can apply it with a roller, a brush or a tooth brush on small parts.

Heat treat isn't your friend here, you can lern that easy with a few clicks of the old mouse.

You really need to educate yourself if you are planning to sell a product. The marketplace will eat the unprepared alive : )

J

Comment

I'm no expert but I would guess hard chrome would be about the best as far as coatings go.

http://www.hardchromeplating.net/ind...es/hard-chrome

Comment

well I did do a little research before I asked. Just skimming some sites about it. Found some things about heating then spraying with some type of oil then repeating several times.

Also seasoning a cast iron skillet comes to mind but that's probably for a different purpose.

Thought well wth, I'll just ask the pro's.

Guess I should have made it clear this is just a one time thing, not a product for sell.
            Just for my use. Its tight inside and any coating would prevent movement and scratch off.

Stainless would be great, didn't have any. Guess I'll just lightly paint it.

I am just making it hard for punks to remove from the truck. The receiver is pin locked and welded to the hitch, the ball is welded, the coupler nut on bottom will be welded and this guard will stop a bolt cutter.

The lock is a 5 pin, harder to pick, made from Baron steel also. So it will take a cut off wheel, time and noise to remove the trailer from the truck.

Thanks for the quick reply's, come back tomorrow and I'll try and take a couple pics.

Comment

... Found some things about heating then spraying with some type of oil then repeating several times...
              You are probably referring to coating it with boiled linseed oil and then heating it until the oil dries/polymerizes. Sort of a poor man's powder coat.

You might try spraying it with Zinc Cold Galvanizing or a similar primer.

Comment

Name:  06c66d897331eb9719a06027db2d89f5.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  110.2 KB

Here is the rough version.

Name:  f16d45fb6c7d86f2bff5fbd94bddb090.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  98.3 KB
                Last edited by Hardrock40; 06-27-2013, 08:34 AM.

Comment

Guess I should have made it clear this is just a one time thing, not a product for sell.
                  Just for my use.

Well that makes it a lot easier, no flood of warrantee work.

You can try several things till you're happy.

J

Comment

What you are referring too is called bluing and is most commonly used on firearms as a corrosion and heat resistant finish, again it is not a coating it is a finish, there are plenty of YouTube videos that explain how to do the process

Comment

Thanks for the pointers, in the end its just a guard so opened the inside a bit and painted it.

I like it, couldn't find a good lock set up in the stores around here. The locks was on a clearance rack in Lowes, 2 pack for 11 bucks.

Now for that cheap side door lock, a person could pry that thing open with a sturdy pocket knife. But not for long.

Comment

Seems like a good place to add this link. Its crazy what thieves will do. This Trooper was called about a car break-in and while he was on the scene, his car was robbed.

Its kind of humorous but at the same time it pisses me off. I think they should have a required beat down before arresting a crook caught in the act. On second thought just shoot em.

http://www.wyff4.com/news/local-news...z/-/index.html
                        Last edited by Hardrock40; 06-27-2013, 12:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.