Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

black pipe airlines and the crud that develops in them

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• black pipe airlines and the crud that develops in them

Black pipe airlines and the crud that develops in them.
    Seems aluminum piping the air compressor companies are offering is the way to go these days if you are building a new shop or thinking about redoing your airlines. The picture shows a line that was only a few years old. Granted the picture probably depicts a worse case scenario but the science is real. At least a 1/2" air hose strung along a shops' wall on an angle with a filter and water separator on the end won't develop rust and hold moisture. Copper corrodes, stainless has carbon in it that could react to acids over time.

aluminum airline http://www.quincycompressor.com/our-...6#.UcHhB_m1F8E
    Last edited by tackit; 06-19-2013, 10:59 AM.

How long was that in service ? We demoed out a auto shop with 20 bays in it and at least one drop to hose reel minimum to each. Shop was in service over 20
    years and all pipe was in great shape. Actually brought some home and made gates for farmer.
    That may have been poor install. I never saw anything that bad. That looks more like a steam condensate return line inside.
    Last edited by BD1; 06-19-2013, 05:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BD1 View Post
      How long was that in service ? We demoed out a auto shop with 20 bays in it and at least one drop to hose reel minimum to each. Shop was in service over 20
      years and all pipe was in great shape. Actually brought some home and made gates for farmer.
      That may have been poor install. I never saw anything that bad. That looks more like a steam condensate return line inside.
      I believe the compressor website said a few years.

http://us.kaeser.com/Products_and_So...iping/pipe.asp
      Last edited by tackit; 06-19-2013, 10:01 PM. Reason: correction on length of time to a few years not two years

Comment

No kidding? Huh, wonder how many folk out there think through the advertising and see a vendor that says his product is better than sliced bread and all alternatives are junk? Its on the Internet so its gotta a true, right?

Comment

black pipe airlines and the crud that develops in them

You need to run with an air dryer in order to limit the internal corrosion on the air lines.

Comment

Originally posted by WyoRoy View Post
            No kidding? Huh, wonder how many folk out there think through the advertising and see a vendor that says his product is better than sliced bread and all alternatives are junk? Its on the Internet so its gotta a true, right?
            I agree with you to a point, but it seems aluminum would have it's advantages over BP. Technology always advances, it never stays the same. I would use it over BP if I was redoing a shop's airlines or building a new one.
            Last edited by tackit; 06-20-2013, 11:39 AM.

Comment

I and all my friends use copper. My friend has had his wood shop on copper for 25+ with zero problems.

Comment

I would imagine climate, shop conditions, hours of use and if moisture and water equipment was properly installed on the lines has a lot to do with it. I wouldn't have that much to put up so cost against copper or SS I don't think would be much of a factor. I like the way it connects, with some planning I could easily have mine up in couple hours.

Comment

The only problem with the aluminum is it's mucho dinero from what Ive seen

Comment

I don't need a lot of aluminum piping to do my shop, if I go 10 feet from the compressor make a drop and install a water separator, filter, valve and clean out I'm set ...so I do think cost would be a big concern.

Comment

Just remember, your compressor tank is made out of steel as well. If steel was really bad, they wouldn't make the tanks out of them. That pic is likely caused by some huge amount of neglect, or another problem that you are not being told about.

Comment

Thats one good bit of advertising you found there!! Thats what the inside of a condensate pipe looks like after being left untreated for about 10years... After working in a facility that utilized over 1000 aggregate HP of air compressors and refrigerated and dessicant driers, some piping being in service of 20+ years, none of our air lines ever looked like that. Most had a minimal amount of surface rust inside from the few times that the driers failed, but I know there is no issue with using black pipe in a properly cared for system. Like Walker had said, the tanks are steel..

Comment

Shop air lines

Been using 1" sch40 PVC for over 20+ years, no rust and very little condension. Every connection ls glued. I put a saddle strap where quick disconnects are installed and running 175 psi of air pressure with no problems.

Comment

Originally posted by GARAGEGADGETS View Post
                            Been using 1" sch40 PVC for over 20+ years, no rust and very little condension. Every connection ls glued. I put a saddle strap where quick disconnects are installed and running 175 psi of air pressure with no problems.
                            you are brave using PVC. The manufactures of PVC specifically say, NOT FOR Compressed AIR. Hope you have life insurance.

http://www.lascofittings.com/support...pressedAir.asp

http://www.osha.gov/dts/hib/hib_data/hib19880520.html

Comment

Using PVC is extremely dangerous. The reason malleable materials like copper and aluminum are used is if your pressure switch and blow off valve fail and the system becomes over pressurized they split. PVC in those conditions explodes, creating shrapnel. I would replace that ASAP, especially if it is your business and you have employees working near them.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.