Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Patching Rust on VW Baja...

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Patching Rust on VW Baja...

So I have patched rust before and it turned out pretty good, I just cut out the rot and welded in new sheet... But on this project I am tackling there is a need to patch some not so flat areas ( window seals, door jams, body mounts, etc...) do any of you guys have any tips?

Originally posted by AwesomeAlbert View Post
    So I have patched rust before and it turned out pretty good, I just cut out the rot and welded in new sheet... But on this project I am tackling there is a need to patch some not so flat areas ( window seals, door jams, body mounts, etc...) do any of you guys have any tips?
    If mig welding, use Esab Easygrind wire.

Comment

Depending on your location I would find another body and cut the pieces out you need and weldthem in,that is what I did with a 67 bus.Even if you live in an area where bodies have long since disappeared you should be able to find what you need on thesamba.com

Comment

I like big mikes answer.

Comment

just make sure that you go from good steel to good steel and then some, no surprises that way, i use cardboard for templates, i also use 14 ga if i can get away with it, it makes the welding go that mush quicker

Comment

I have done lots of VW's in California from 5-1600 and class 11 off road race cars to lowered street sedans. The places you speak of are the most common places for cancer other than the pan and battery tray area. As stated above finding a donor car with the corresponding panels is the easiest way to go. If possible remove plug welds and separate at the seams to get a better lineup and fit on the panel to be stitched in. Be careful as some spots on those cars are already very thin and grinding away too much will be harder to cover up come finish time. What kind of project are you working on?

Comment

I already replaced the pan and battery tray, it was good and rotten... Im just fixing the rusted areas for my buddy, he's more of a mechanic than a fabricator. but I believe its a '67, 1500cc or something like that.

Comment

The samba is awesome. Best vw site around.

Comment

If making new patches then measure the bad area. Make the patch first then trace it on the bad area & cut. Much easier than trying to make a patch fit an already cut area. Fit up is essential, no big gaps! It is easier to overlap slightly, like an 1/8" than it is to butt weld. Done right butt welding is better but more tedious for fit up. Small tacks jumping around rather than continuous welding. Keep it cool while welding & grinding. Heat is not your friend here.

Ditto on The Samba. They have a good body section on their forum.

Comment

Thanks guys, Ill Try to put some pictures up...

Comment

Hey Albert any luck? Would like to see those pics of the finished product.

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.