Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Purging mig c25 shielding gas after welding?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Purging mig c25 shielding gas after welding?

I saw on a tutorial that you should purge the c25 gas out of the line when your finished welding. Seems like a waste of gas.. but is this a true statement, can't seem to find an answer on the net.

Thanks!

I have never done that. My lines don't leak. Plus I sometimes leave my bottles open. Through lunch break.

Comment

My bottles are on all day long & many days I'm in shop 16 hrs. Also many shops run 2 shifts bottles open 24 hrs. What good would it be to purge out gas out. Never heard of that.
      If my pressure bleeds off over weekend or after vacation etc. I purge the line before start first weld.
      Not everything u read is true or I'd be a French Model. My wife assures me that's not true.

Comment

I personally do purge when done.

Turn wire speed way down, turn bottle off and pull the trigger.

Way back in high school my shop teacher (welder for 20+ years) thought us to purge for the following reasons.

1. Better for solenoid/o-rings as they are not under constant pressure .
        2. Makes you purge the line every time before welding (granted your mig doesn't self purge)
        3. Assures your bottle won't be empty next time you go to use it.

I have always done this since my teacher showed me way back.

May not make sense for high use applications as I am a hobby type user and not a pro welder

Comment

As a matter of habit from WWAAAYY BACK, I always release the pressure on my MIG and TIG machines as I never really know when it will be used next. The "common wisdom" is that letting the pressure off is best for all the parts that would otherwise be holding pressure and it sure as **** can't hurt anything. Besides, if letting out 1.5 cents of gas once in a while is going to cause a guy to be eating cat food anytime soon just maybe the money is getting away a LOT faster elsewhere, huh?

Comment

If it has a regulator or flow meter, I purge after use.

Comment

I used to burp my children.

Comment

USMCPOP;

I don't understand!

Comment

Originally posted by ericher69 View Post
                  USMCPOP;

I don't understand!
                  Kidding - feed a baby, burp it afterwards.

Comment

I always bleed the gas and open the wire drive so before starting to weld again the gun can be purged without wasting wire. It would be a nice feature if they would put a purge button on the gun..... that way after stopping for what ever reason you could re-purge the gun right at the handle without having to open the machine and wire drive up. It would stop sputtering and porosity on starts.

Comment

Yeah I'm guilty of not releasing the drive roll tension!

The spool guns have an auto purge function...

Wonder if it could easily be incorporated to the main gun?

Comment

Originally posted by ericher69 View Post
                        Yeah I'm guilty of not releasing the drive roll tension!

The spool guns have an auto purge function...

Wonder if it could easily be incorporated to the main gun?
                        It would be nice if at least it was offered as an option.

Comment

My first Mig was a Seelye, made by a company started by ex Century engineers. It had a purge switch. I sold it and bought a larger Seelye, but it didn't have the switch./ I called Seelye and they told me where to add the switch and wiring. Hobart put a purge setting on the older HH140, but took it off. I guess more and more people don't purge or set their flow meter.

Comment

Originally posted by cope View Post
                            My first Mig was a Seelye, made by a company started by ex Century engineers. It had a purge switch. I sold it and bought a larger Seelye, but it didn't have the switch./ I called Seelye and they told me where to add the switch and wiring. Hobart put a purge setting on the older HH140, but took it off. I guess more and more people don't purge or set their flow meter.
                            If I knew how to put one on my machines I would do it.

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.