Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cope got the 1/4" CDI

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cope got the 1/4" CDI

Couldn't help myself, the cute little bugger will fill the gap, it goes from 30-150 inch lbs. It has the same quality feel to it as the others.

Good for you. Nearly thirty years ago, I bought that same wrench from my Snap On dealer. It had a 3/8" head, and I had him swap out fore 1/4". I don't know how many times I have adjusted the bands on a Torqueflite transmission using 72" #, but I have done my share. I just noticed the quick release, nice.

I still have your 3/8" in my watch list. One day....

Comment

The last tool I bought from the Snap On guy was the red handled 1/4 ratchet, about 8" long. Didn't ask the price before I said I wanted it...nearly died when I went to sign the ticket - $98.00! Too embarrassed to say no way!

Comment

Originally posted by cope View Post
        Good for you. Nearly thirty years ago, I bought that same wrench from my Snap On dealer. It had a 3/8" head, and I had him swap out fore 1/4". I don't know how many times I have adjusted the bands on a Torqueflite transmission using 72" #, but I have done my share. I just noticed the quick release, nice.

I still have your 3/8" in my watch list. One day....

I sure am glad you advised me to check out CDI torque wrenches, I couldn't be more satisfied. I'm going to keep em in the house because of the extreme differences in temp around here.

The 3/8 is what I used to torque the welding table's legs to the floor, it just feels good in your hands... I'll keep an eye out, if I come across a good deal on a 3/8 I'll let you know.

I have to remove the aluminum side covers on the Snapper's Zero Turn's gear boxes and check the grease in them this summer, it's been about three years since I had to replace gears and repack the transmissions with new grease......the grease dries out from the heat and cakes up then it stops lubricating/cooling the gears, the mighty 1/4" will finalize putting things back together.

Stay cool buddy...

Comment

Here's what a mower transmission looks like after the grease has dried out and caked and the damage it causes.

Comment

Originally posted by TxDarth View Post
            The last tool I bought from the Snap On guy was the red handled 1/4 ratchet, about 8" long. Didn't ask the price before I said I wanted it...nearly died when I went to sign the ticket - $98.00! Too embarrassed to say no way!
            I know, but if you figure the years of service you are going to get from it and the pleasure of working with good tools it's not a bad deal.

Comment

Tackit, I got out my 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" Snap On wrenches and assured them that although I was looking at a CDI 3/8", they weren't being replaced.
              Last edited by cope; 06-11-2013, 02:20 PM.

Comment

Tackit, I got out my 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" Snap On wrenches and assured them that although I was looking at a CDI 3/8", they weren't being replaced.
                Cope, what's the new 3/8 going to be for, different inch pounds?

I don't think they can make CDI wrenches any better, maybe they could gold plate some for gifts or awards.

Comment

Originally posted by tackit View Post
                  Cope, what's the new 3/8 going to be for, different inch pounds?

I don't think they can make CDI wrenches any better, maybe they could gold plate some for gifts or awards.
                  No, foot pounds. It goes from 5-75 foot pounds, and mine is 15-100. I don't really need it, but when it comes to tools, need means nothing.
                  Last edited by cope; 06-11-2013, 04:59 PM.

Comment

I would put a few ounces of gear oil in the gear case and use synthetic wheel bearing grease. That will fix the problem with the gears getting dry. Just saying......

Comment

No, foot pounds. It goes from 5-75 foot pounds, and mine is 15-100. I don't really need it, but when it comes to tools, need means nothing.
                      I tied to span the ft/lbs and in/lbs gaps between torque wrenches as best I could. I think I did good. I'm going to have to find a good torque chart for torqueing steel bolts in aluminum castings. I can't find one that has all types of aluminum made. I suppose you have guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Fireman View Post
                        I would put a few ounces of gear oil in the gear case and use synthetic wheel bearing grease. That will fix the problem with the gears getting dry. Just saying......
                        I pact the gears on one side in three tubes of $14 a tube syn grease from the place that sold me the new gears.... I put all three tubes of the $14 grease in the left side, 1 1/2 tubes didn't cover them in grease. Then I remembered talking to a guy at a different parts business and he said to use white lithium, it's what the pictures look like was in them from the factory. I tested both transmissions after the mower mowed 3 acres of lawn and both transmissions were around 110 -112 degrees, well under white lithium's top temp, so no more $14 a tube grease for me. The white lithium was like $3 a pound. .... I would worry the oil would melt the grease lowering/changing it's heat range.
                        Last edited by tackit; 06-12-2013, 06:23 AM. Reason: clarity

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.