How to Remove the Backing Plate?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to Remove the Backing Plate?

Haven't done this yet but curious, how does one remove the backing plate when practicing for a test using single-V-groove, open root? Looks to me like the backing plate is solidly welded to the two work pieces.
    ==============
    Miller 211 MVP
    Hobart StickMate LX 235
    Lincoln AC 225
    CutMaster 42

air arc it off or torch it off , and lots off practice. leave a very thin amount and grind off the rest. Im assuming this is for test plate coupons? We even used to chuck the coupon up in the milling machine and shave them off too.
    I have a welding addiction

...the only stupid question is the one you didn't ask

Comment

Some places (with a machine shop) will use a milling machine and mill it off but most of the time it is just washed off with a cutting torch or arc air.
      We wash ours off with a torch. Removing the backing strip is not part of the test but be careful not to take off too much and ruin your test piece.
      You want the backing strip solidly welded and fused to the work piece. If it is not, you won't pass the bend tests.
      Last edited by snoeproe; 06-06-2013, 06:01 AM.
      Lincoln Idealarc 250 stick/tig Miller Bluestar 2E Thermal Arc Hefty 2 feeder Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52 Torchmate CNC table Ironworker Welder Operating engineer Owner/Operator Devlin Metal Works Custom CNC Plasma Cutting and Welding

Comment

At school we were using a portable bandsaw which was fast.

Comment

Carbon Arc.

Wheelchair

Comment

ive just washed them off with a torch.

Comment

Originally posted by HayFarmer:308709
              At school we were using a portable bandsaw which was fast.
              Same here.. since their usually cut up in pieces you can cut off the excess material and trim it so you can fit it in the portaband. Ive never seen a shop use a torch on them before bend testing.

Comment

I've always gauged them off, nice and easy. But you have to be good at gauging.

Comment

Originally posted by Thrutraffic View Post
                  Haven't done this yet but curious, how does one remove the backing plate when practicing for a test using single-V-groove, open root? Looks to me like the backing plate is solidly welded to the two work pieces.
                  Just out of curiosity, what is a backing plate doing on an OPEN ROOT weld??????
                  Obviously, I'm just a hack-artist, you shouldn't be listening to anything I say .....

Comment

Working...
                  X