Tube Shark, my favorite tubing bender

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tube Shark, my favorite tubing bender

Man I wish I could afford one of their benders and notchers.. anyone here have one or use one?

http://www.tubeshark.com/

Nice, however, above and beyond my means. The appearance alone looks like big $$$$$$$ . I may have to buy a lotto ticket.

Comment

Originally posted by BD1 View Post
      Nice, however, above and beyond my means. The appearance alone looks like big $$$$$$$ . I may have to buy a lotto ticket.
      I couldn't use it enough around here to get the money back out of it.

Swag has a nice idea on how to improve a HF bender by adding their wing kit, a 4 ton HF jack and a HF electric pipe threader. The improved HF bender comes out to be less than $400 if I remember correctly.

http://www.swagoffroad.com/Harbor-Fr...-Kit_p_74.html

Comment

The time shark is a great bender but pricey. I have used a JD2 bender for last 16 years. It's a lower cost bender and never had a problem. I have dies from 3/4 - 2 inch in tube and 1 - 1 1/2 square.

Comment

Originally posted by dozer7078 View Post
          The time shark is a great bender but pricey. I have used a JD2 bender for last 16 years. It's a lower cost bender and never had a problem. I have dies from 3/4 - 2 inch in tube and 1 - 1 1/2 square.
          I like JD Squared stuff, I have their tube notcher, it's a very well made tool. If I was to by a bender I buy a JD squared like yours.

Here's one I have been playing around with in my head .... It's drawn with MS's Paint Program so It's not so clean and fancy...

The center/body of the die would be made from 1/2" plate (the blue)

The green would be either 3/8 or 1/2" X 2" wide flat stock with a 1/2" milled grove down the center a 1/8" deep to be bent around the dies 1/2" thick body plate (blue)

Mill a V in the top side of the flat stock for holding different sizes of tube, pipe, wire and rod... and mill a few with slots for holding different sizes of sq tube.

I was thinking by the time I milled a 1/2" wide X 1/8 deep grove down the middle of the 2" wide flat stock for going around the dies 1/2" center plate (Blue).... and milled a V for different size tube and slots for square tube the 1/2"X 2" wide flat stock would be easier to bend around the dies 1/2" body plate.

Still playing around with the idea... It seems like dies would be cheap to build, but then again it's only a thought and I'm no engineer.

Comment

Fwiw, I built a vertical jd2 type tube bender for about $500 including a 1.75x180 die set. It works great. I can produce I identical bends fairly quickly with it with ease. It is air over hydraulic and has casters so it is easy to move around the shop. I am very happy with how it turned out. Shoot me a pm if you are interested in some details.
            MillerMatic 251
            Maxstar 150 STH
            Cutmaster 42
            Victor Journeyman OA

A rockcrawler, er money pit, in progress...

Comment

I am interested to see your hydraulic setup. I love my JD bender but C-moly is a pain with the ratchet.

Comment

Try one of these http://www.swagoffroad.com/Tubing-Bender-AirHydraulic-Ram-Mount_p_53.html
                MillerMatic 251
                Maxstar 150 STH
                Cutmaster 42
                Victor Journeyman OA

Comment

Hey Elvis I thank you for the link. Seems to be pretty east to build. I never thought about it but bending a lot with one just seems more practical I won't be bending much more moly now that I am in Texas but it would be nice for thick wall mild. Jeeps kept me busy and play money in my pocket. What are you building?

Comment

Originally posted by elvis View Post
                    Fwiw, I built a vertical jd2 type tube bender for about $500 including a 1.75x180 die set. It works great. I can produce I identical bends fairly quickly with it with ease. It is air over hydraulic and has casters so it is easy to move around the shop. I am very happy with how it turned out. Shoot me a pm if you are interested in some details.
                    I'd be interested in looking at your bender elvis, but I don't have the drive or desire to build one at this time.... I'm going to have my interview with the eye doc to have my cataracts removed in a couple weeks, I'm hoping it doesn't take long for a my eyes to heal so I can weld again and do other things I like to do. I have my name down on a Springfield Armory XD-S, I'm looking forward to shooting it and an AK 47 that I have never fired before. Hopefully my eyes will heal as fast as me changing my mind about the shears.

I saw this bender on ebay, it looks well built.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stazworks-He...00478632703%26

Comment

Originally posted by Texas113 View Post
                      Hey Elvis I thank you for the link. Seems to be pretty east to build. I never thought about it but bending a lot with one just seems more practical I won't be bending much more moly now that I am in Texas but it would be nice for thick wall mild. Jeeps kept me busy and play money in my pocket. What are you building?
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130426_143210.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	515889Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130428_094049.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	515890 The last thing I built was a set of rock sliders for XJs. I thinking about getting into cad designed chassis builds this fall. I just do general fab. I have been working on the side for a while and I need to figure out a few details so that I can devote more time to offroad stuff. First need to cage my cherokee and then I want to build up a ultra4 spec'd chassis to build a comp buggy. Dreams...

Originally posted by tackit View Post
                      I'd be interested in looking at your bender elvis, but I don't have the drive or desire to build one at this time.... I'm going to have my interview with the eye doc to have my cataracts removed in a couple weeks, I'm hoping it doesn't take long for a my eyes to heal so I can weld again and do other things I like to do. I have my name down on a Springfield Armory XD-S, I'm looking forward to shooting it and an AK 47 that I have never fired before. Hopefully my eyes will heal as fast as me changing my mind about the shears.

I saw this bender on ebay, it looks well built.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stazworks-He...00478632703%26
                      What I have is similar. Mine uses model 3 dies, but with a little modification it could use the 32 dies. I just used a cheapo harbor freight air/hydro 8-ton jack for the bending force. Down the road I want to convert it to electric over hydraulic. I learned a few things building this one and I have some things I plan to improve for the next build. I would build it out of thicker material: I used stacked, or laminated, 1/4" that is welded together. It is nice and stout but I would use two layers of .375" next time.

What I have works great and it was a helluva lot cheaper than buying something commercially.
                      MillerMatic 251
                      Maxstar 150 STH
                      Cutmaster 42
                      Victor Journeyman OA

Comment

Working...
                      X