X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ericher69
    started a topic millermatic 211 or 212 or 252

millermatic 211 or 212 or 252

I am looking at the 211 to do some light aluminum work, stainless and mostly mild steel.

Question; is it worth the extra money to get the 212 (same specs except for increased duty cycle).

Was looking at 252 but spool option is big increase in $$.

Main uses are home fabrication for myself with small compact tractor implement work.

I currently own a Lincoln sp170-T and a Canox sparkler AC/DC 225/150

Was going to keep the stick but if 1 welder can replace the 2 I have I am open to that.

Any and all positive opinions are welcome!

Thanks

• Manisoba
    replied

You can convert it to a spool gun by buying the canister

Leave a comment:

• ericher69
    replied
    Ok I was asking because there is one on EBay (xr-30 version) push pull but I think for my occasional aluminum needs the 30A will suffice

Leave a comment:

• ja baudin
    replied
    Originally posted by H80N View Post
    No... clarity is a good thing...

had not even thought about the two bottle rack... my MM350P has the single rack... guess I got a mental lock on that mindset..
    Yeh, mine was the same way. I fab'd an extension of the bottle rack and the cylinders piggy back each other instead of side by side. Thanks, Ja

Leave a comment:

• H80N
    replied
    Originally posted by ja baudin View Post
    Clarification: With gun on demand, if you have two bottles and two regulators on the back of the machine, you don't have to switch back and forth between separate gas cylinders. Just turn them off and on. Not hating on you H8ON, just making sure the op gets a better idea on how the set up works.
    No... clarity is a good thing...

had not even thought about the two bottle rack... my MM350P has the single rack... guess I got a mental lock on that mindset..

Leave a comment:

• ja baudin
    replied
    Originally posted by H80N View Post
    It is true that it is a bit more trouble to switch to the push-pull...

BUT in either case you will still need to change gasses and purge lines... even with "gun on demand"...

the Alumapro push pull is only worthwhile if you are going to push a lot of aliuminum at a time... the 30A is great for small repairs.. where the 1 pound limit on spools is not a hinderence...
    Clarification: With gun on demand, if you have two bottles and two regulators on the back of the machine, you don't have to switch back and forth between separate gas cylinders. Just turn the one on you need. Not hating on you H8ON, just making sure the op gets a better idea on how the set up works.
    Last edited by ja baudin; 08-07-2013, 12:40 PM.

Leave a comment:

• H80N
    replied
    Originally posted by ja baudin View Post
    If you use a push pull gun, your machine will be dedicated to aluminum only. To weld steel you will have to remove the push pull, switch drive rollers, and switch the spool of wire in the cabinet of the welder to steel. If you use a spool gun, your machine can weld both steel and aluminum. Example, pick up the spoolgun and weld aluminum or pick up the mig gun and weld steel. No switching anything. That may be a big factor for you to consider if this is your only machine and using if for both. It's called "gun on demand" capability. Ja
    It is true that it is a bit more trouble to switch to the push-pull...

BUT in either case you will still need to change gasses and purge lines... even with "gun on demand"...

the Alumapro push pull is only worthwhile if you are going to push a lot of aliuminum at a time... the 30A is great for small repairs.. where the 1 pound limit on spools is not a hinderence...

Leave a comment:

• ja baudin
    replied
    If you use a push pull gun, your machine will be dedicated to aluminum only. To weld steel you will have to remove the push pull, switch drive rollers, and switch the spool of wire in the cabinet of the welder to steel. If you use a spool gun, your machine can weld both steel and aluminum. Example, pick up the spoolgun and weld aluminum or pick up the mig gun and weld steel. No switching anything. That may be a big factor for you to consider if this is your only machine and using if for both. It's called "gun on demand" capability. Ja
    Last edited by ja baudin; 08-07-2013, 09:46 AM.

Leave a comment:

• H80N
    replied
    Originally posted by ericher69 View Post
    Thanks for the info!

Now can the spoolmatic 30A be converted to push-pull or visa versa?
    There is a version of it called "XR-30" that is configured as a push pull..

http://www.millerwelds.com/om/o1555e_mil.pdf

But I would not think it to be a very cost effective conversion...

at that point... I would keep the 30A configured as is and start looking for an "Alumapro"....

that is the route I took..

Leave a comment:

• ericher69
    replied

Thanks for the info!

Now can the spoolmatic 30A be converted to push-pull or visa versa?

Leave a comment:

• ja baudin
    replied
    With a lot of practice, yes. My opinion, they weld the same. I personally like using the 30A more than the push pull. Good luck.
    Last edited by ja baudin; 08-06-2013, 03:21 PM.

Leave a comment:

• kvwall
    replied
    Originally posted by ericher69 View Post
    Kvwall;

Nice bead!

Can I expect similar results with the Spoolmatic 30A?
    Thanks. I'm not sure what to expect from the 30A. The AlumaPro is a push-pull gun. I hear a lot of good things about the spoolmatics. They just aren't made for production work. I'm sure you can get a nice bead if everything is setup properly and your technique is good.

Leave a comment:

• ericher69
    replied

Kvwall;

Nice bead!

Can I expect similar results with the Spoolmatic 30A?

Leave a comment:

• kvwall
    replied
    I use both the 211 and 252. They both have their place. 211 for the field 252 for the shop. The one thing I never liked on the 211 was the Spoolmatic 100. I was doing a nice size aluminum job last month and this gun caused me more headache than it was worth. The gun broke in the middle of my job so I had to overnight a push pull gun to the shop. Big $$ but worth the time it saved.

This is the bead I ran with the new XR AlumaPro.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-08-05 at 2.04.25 PM.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	515995

Leave a comment:

• ericher69
    replied
    Texas113;

Will hopefully have the 30A spoolmatic in a month or so as I have found a used one for $600 but it is an hour and a half away.

Next time I have some business in that city I will email the seller a few days before and see if I can get it maybe even cheaper as it has been for sale now for 2 months at $800 and has not sold.

We have agreed "tentatively" to $600 but I'm sure they will come down a little more.

Ran a short bead "t joint" on steel last night using the settings in the front cover and all I can say is "wow"

This is what I was missing out on with the smallish Lincoln SP170-T...power!
    Last edited by ericher69; 08-05-2013, 07:15 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X