Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

millermatic 211 or 212 or 252

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• millermatic 211 or 212 or 252

I am looking at the 211 to do some light aluminum work, stainless and mostly mild steel.

Question; is it worth the extra money to get the 212 (same specs except for increased duty cycle).

Was looking at 252 but spool option is big increase in $$.

Main uses are home fabrication for myself with small compact tractor implement work.

I currently own a Lincoln sp170-T and a Canox sparkler AC/DC 225/150

Was going to keep the stick but if 1 welder can replace the 2 I have I am open to that.

Any and all positive opinions are welcome!

Thanks

Sounds like the 211 is your best bet if the aluminum capacity fits your needs, if not the 252. For home use I doubt the duty cycle will matter much to you.

Comment

If you can swing it go for the 252 with the 30A.
      You cannot use amps you did not buy and the 30A is(in my opinion)the gold standard in spool guns.

Comment

The 211 suits my needs. Haven't overloaded the machine and if I need to weld thicker material than what my machine is rated I just make multiple passes. Ultimately you have to decide if you wanna pay the big bucks for a machine that you may never use the top end of it, being a home welder and All. Just my .2$.

Comment

Elaborate more on your light aluminum- Mig AL is really only good down to 16g

SS- you'll need a Mix gas = $$

A Tig machine might be a better option since you already have the SP170 T and the Stick machine to cover your Mild steel needs.

Tig machine and a bottle of Argon will cover your Lite al and SS

Comment

Big dollar difference from211 to 252. For home hobby use I would definite say the 211. The dual voltage 110/220 may also be a worth while feature. It's a awesome machine and STILL IN REBATE PROGRAM.
            Once you have the 211 then save for a Miller 200/250 syncro. Now you'll have stick and tig. Then you can sell the others.

Comment

Originally posted by Precision View Post
              The 211 suits my needs. Haven't overloaded the machine and if I need to weld thicker material than what my machine is rated I just make multiple passes. Ultimately you have to decide if you wanna pay the big bucks for a machine that you may never use the top end of it, being a home welder and All. Just my .2$.
              1/4-3/8 aluminum. Anything thicker and I could bevel with multiple passes (within reason)

I really want the 252 but realistically only need the 211.

I can use the stick for SS also (does a really good job from what I remember)

The TIG option would be very nice (Dynasty DX200) not really into the Diversion models.

Will the 211 be a marked improvement in capacity/ability (besides aluminum with sp100)?

Thanks

Comment

I agree 110% with BD1.

Comment

Originally posted by Precision View Post
                  I agree 110% with BD1.

Thanks to all that replied.

You have confirmed what I needed to hear that I only really need the 211 (even though that 252 would be saweet) but not for 3x the money!

A TIG option may be something to look at in the future to replace the sparkler.

How much could I get for the sp170-T? and for the Sparkler?

Comment

3/8" al?

The 211 will not get much penetration on 3/8" AL in a single pass weld. The 212 has a lot more top end (higher volts) then the 211. 15 foot gun also.

Comment

deafman;

I checked the specs directly from the miller site
                      http://www.millerwelds.com/products/mig/product.php?model=M00218

On the 211,212,252 and all say 3/8 max on aluminum??

Doesn't make much sense to me! What am I missing?

I realize duty cycle is much better on 212,252 but I don't do production work so really don't care

Comment

I don't have any of them nor have I welded with any of them so I'm kind of talking though my hat here. But you did notice in the literature that the 211 is limited to 4043 wire? I think I read on here somewhere that it can't sustain the current for 5356 and do it right. So it depends what and how often and what your budget is. If you are rarely going to weld on aluminum that heavy and 4043 is good for your application then the 211 should suffice. If aluminum is your main reason to upgrade maybe not. Depends what you plan to do and how that changes in the future. Good luck---Meltedmetal

Comment

I have the 212 (pre Autoset) and I picked it over the 211. I am pleased with it though I have not got a spool gun to do any aluminum.

Comment

http://weldingdirect.com/alwewi.html

A quick synopsis of different filler wires.

MeltedMetal; thanks for the heads up with 5356 will look into it further

Comment

I have yet to see any videos or photos that make me want to buy a spool gun for my 211. What I have seen, the welds looks like crap.

I really want a spool gun for my 211. If it saves as much time and welds anything like Mig steel does I would be fit to be tied.

Guess if you think that's what you want, then go for it. Sometimes that's the only way. Well I keep telling myself to go for it also.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.